Saturday, June 27, 2009

It's already been a pretty good year for gaming.



Well to be fair, last spring had Grand Theft Auto IV and Metal Gear Solid 4, but from the ebb of winter to now we've gotten some pretty great titles. You've got your Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, Flower and Killzone 2. In the last month inFamous appeared (with the gift of the Uncharted 2 Beta) and hot on its heels was Prototype - plus, now we've got Final Fantasy VII on PSN!

I'm not too proud to say I'd never played FFVII before last week. Never liked RPGs - particularly turn-based. Oh sure, friends had tried to turn me on to the stuff when I was in junior high, but I managed to stay clean until - in a freakish display of faith - I went out and bought myself a copy of Persona 3 in '07. 130 hours on my first playthrough - if that's not an indication of affection, I don't know what is.

So with the Shin Megami Tensei series, I dipped my toe in the waters of turn-based RPGs and did not find it at all unpleasant. I'm less timid around RPGs now, but I still had a massive hole in my knowledge. If you play video games at all, it is expected that you've played Final Fantasy VII. So much so that even without having ever picked up the controller, I knew who Barret, Cloud, Tifa, Red XIII and Aeris were - and I knew what happens to The Flower Girl. Final Fantasy VII - regardless of its objective quality when compared to the rest of the Final Fantasies - is a legendary title.

It is required reading for gamers. But if, like me, you've never played it, I'll try to slap a review together once I finish it for the sake of others in my position.

Is it actually worth dropping ten bucks on? Or have fanboys romanticized the game so much over the past decade that its genuine value is indescernable?

Wish me luck.

*

At any rate, what you see below is the extent of the material I'd written prior to setting up shop here on the blogosphere. From here on out it's all fresh, no filler. Except for when I decide to review a four year old game (which I anticipate won't be an irregular event).

Also, I may do up something on Prototype Vs. inFamous. Because, of course, they're exactly the same.


**

Note: all the articles below (aside from the Uncharted 2 Beta and Prototype review) can be found at http://savingprogress.com. It's a fine site run by a fine bunch of guys, I just put them up hear because their future is beyond my control and I would be loath to lose them.



No comments:

Post a Comment