Thursday, December 17, 2009

MOVIE - Jennifer's Body.

Why is horror the only genre of film I blog about? Perhaps it's because I sense my readership doesn't give a damn that I thought Julie & Julia was great, but as much as I love Amy Adams I would have much preferred to see ninety minutes of Meryl Streep chewing up the scenery as Julia Child. The "geek" genres are sci-fi, fantasy and horror - but you likely don't need me to tell you that J.J. Abrams' Star Trek was awesome and Terminator Salvation kinda' sucked. That leaves the occasional fantasy yarn (Stardust is excellent, by the way) and horror.

Let me turn you on to a horror movie you've very likely dismissed, due to its lead.

Beyond total indifference, there's really only two emotions one can feel towards Megan Fox - she is either super-hot and therefor to be worshiped as such, or she is super-hot and the only reason she's working in Hollywood is so directors can leverage that attribute in the pursuit of separating horny young men from their money.

I fall in the latter camp. Megan Fox is super hot, but I don't like her. I don't like how every movie she's in spends a good five minutes of footage panning up and down her body in slow motion. It is blatant pandering - it's a little insulting - and for that alone, I don't like her. So I was equally prepared to dislike Jennifer's Body - a teen horror flick that advertised itself based solely on the merits of her hotness. I was prepared never to watch it, despite a modicum of curiosity.

But yesterday, I'm browsing movies - I think I've settled on Public Enemies - but then I see Jennifer's Body. As a general rule I like smart teen horror flicks, and there was a slim chance this could turn out as entertaining as, say, The Faculty. So why not?

Expectations seem to have a huge impact on movies. If you saw American Beauty after everyone and their dog told you it was the best movie evarr, you'd have no idea what they were talking about. Inversely, I believe that since I went into Jennifer's Body expecting a poor film, I had no option but to be impressed with what it actually is.

Don't get me wrong, it still showcases lingering shots of Megan Fox in various states of undress, but it's also just a... smart movie.

Isn't that weird?

It's about the kind-of unhealthy attachment between friends-since-childhood Amanda Seyfried (who, it may surprise you to learn, is actually the protagonist of the story) and Fox. At first the relationship seems parasitic - Seyfried caters to Fox's every whim - but as the story waxes and wanes it becomes clear that Fox is just as dependent on the mousy, polite friend as her friend is on the bigger-than-life high school diva.

Here's an article I found from a clever blogger who examines it much more closely.


If, like me, you were prepared to ignore Jennifer's Body based solely on your proud distaste for Megan Fox - give it a shot. It's not a great movie, but it's certainly rather good, and a good way to blow ninety minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Jennifers Body. All my friends called me crazy for wanting to see it. But I knew what it was and what kind of movie it was going to be. Everyone just saw Megan Fox and didn't even bother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little surprised by how simple the ending of Jennifer's journey was - but the epilogue was very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about comedy? Let's talk about how horribly awkward Observe and Report was to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I still need to finish watching it, to be honest. Someone needs to give me more presents to wrap, and I'll turn it on as background noise while I work.

    ReplyDelete