Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Move schmoove. Here's a great, easy recipe for butter chicken.

As a bit of an older-school gamer, I am fundamentally resistant to change that doesn't involve better graphics. I don't like motion control, and if Sony were a company that catered directly to me it could have better invested all this PlayStation Move money into making Insomniac a buyout offer they couldn't refuse, or giving SCE Studio Japan the budget to make PS3 games that aren't graphically sub-par.

But Sony isn't in the business of pleasing me, exclusively - they are, more than anything, in the business of pleasing their shareholders - and the "casual" market is big business. Or that's sure how it looks right now. Whether or not the same folks who bought fifty million Wiis will be interested in Sony's slightly more accomplished motion control remains to be seen, but I'm certain I don't care all that much.

If you're curious about what makes the Move different from the Wiimote, there's a glut of content out there today to satisfy that. I too will be reading up on it, but for something a little different, I thought I'd share an excellent recipe for butter chicken my friend Susan hooked me up with.

I'm serious. Try it.

* * *
Susan's Delicious,
EASY
Butter Chicken Recipe

Traditional butter chicken takes 24 hours to prepare. By the end, you're left with a rich (almost scummy-looking) red sauce and chicken meat so tender it would make a BBQ master blush. This recipe forgoes the extensive cooking time, and because the meat is quickly roasted in the oven instead of simmered for hours, it's not nearly as tender. But it's still chicken, and the only reason anyone really eats butter chicken is for the delicious sauce.

Here's what you'll need.

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 tbsp garlic, minced
  • one 15oz can plain tomato sauce (that's a teensy bit under 2 cups. 1 and 7/8ths of a cup.)
  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • 1 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cut to bite size. (I found this recipe makes so much sauce, I used 5 skinless chicken breasts.)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil (I use around 3 tbsp for 5 breasts.)
  • 2 tbsp tandoori masala (I use 4 tbsp for the 5 breasts.)
  • 2 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190C).

Melt a few tablespoons of the butter in a skillet, medium heat. Stir in the onions and garlic. Cook until the onion caramelizes to a dark brown (15 minutes). Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a (large) sauce pan, medium-high heat, along with the tomato sauce, cream, cayenne and garam masala. Bring to a simmer.

Reduce to mid-low, cover, and simmer for thirty minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the caramelized onions.

While the sauce is simmering, toss the cubed chicken with the vegetable oil until coated. Throw in the tandoori masala and mix until the chicken is (pretty much) evenly coated with the spice. (I used a large pan with some tin foil spread out over it, saves on the mess.) Spread out the chicken on a baking sheet, and bake until the chicken is no longer pink inside (12-15 minutes). Once done, add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for another five minutes before serving.

Serve over rice, with some nice naan bread. Yum.

And don't make this too often. Its basically like, super-fat-food.

Delicious, delicious fat.

2 comments: