Friday, August 13, 2010

MOVIE - Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.


How to phrase it...

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World is both a faithful adaptation of the source material, and possessed of its own anima - its own life, which (mostly) adheres to the structure, the story, the tone of the books, but will gleefully leap off the page to play its own riff on what was set down.

These detours from the blueprint of Byan Lee O'Malley's books are not bad things.

Y'know what the problem with the recent Lord of the Rings trilogy was? It was too damn faithful to the books. Too reverent of its source material to risk discovering its own life - its own vital energy that could only exist in the medium of movies.

Scott Pilgrim makes no such mistakes. It follows roughly the same path as the books before splitting off around the events of Vs. The Universe (Volume 5) - and while it ends up telling a very different story (I like that Sex Bob-omb's struggle for success was given greater shrift, but think it could have been wrapped up with less Knives), it takes you on a journey with much the same objective as the books. It diverges in terms of narrative, but not in theme - not in its point.


The movie is hilarious - I already knew ninety per cent of the jokes were coming, and I still laughed more at Scott Pilgrim than I have at any other in recent (or ancient) memory. It also does an admirable job of offering greater insight into the characters. Ramona, in particular, seems much more human in her, well, human incarnation than she ever did on the page, and while Michael Sera does not burst with energy in the way we might wish Scott would, he also provides the character (who, let's face it, is pretty much a lazy, selfish dick) with a great deal of relateable charm.

Scott Pilgrim is a great movie. A movie that's worth paying ten dollars for to see in the theatre - and I can offer no higher praise.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! I feel like Edgar Wright right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You feel like a long-time collaborator of Simon Pegg's?

    Or proud? Why do - I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud. I'm so emotionally invested it's like if the film were my own creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just glad something Canadian is acknowledged to be cool - not just super-successful like all the movie stars or music we export.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody says ill of The Lord of the Rings within earshot--or, blog...shot?--of me and leaves without a fight. Good sir, you have brought this upon yourself; I challenge you to a duel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [Glove slap.]

    BlazBlue at dawn?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, something far more sinister is necessary to settle this dispute. I believe what we need is... a Resident Evil 5 Versus match!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scott Pilgrim VS. The World is by far my favorite movie since Fight Club. After watching it I "purchased" all of the books from TPB *cough* I mean HMV, as well as the soundtrack. Yeah. I will get the game from XBLA on release day. I've sent 5 emails to Mary Elizabeth Winstead since lunch, but she hasn't replied yet. I think I'm in love with Ramona Flowers and I'm cut, hurt even, that I have never met, nor likely will I ever meet, a girl that awesome. One came close but that's a story for my OWN blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damnit Blue, support Canadian art!. Support art in general!

    I bought Azumanga Daioh for God's sake. Do what's right, even if it's approaching shameful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, Felipe, I haven't played RE5 since I platinum'd it and then helped my brother platinum his copy - and I've never, not once, gone online with it.

    Let's just say you win and Lord of the Rings is awesome enough to own on Blu-ray. Though, as Blue will attest, I have a strange compulsion to purchase almost any decent movie I come across.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I was being highly sarcastic, like, the entire time (except about the part where you insulted the Lord of the Rings films; they're my three favorite films (five once The Hobbit comes out) of all time, and I watch them at least once a month, Extended Editions of course, and I was super pissed when New Line released the theatrical BluRays but not the extended BluRays and still haven't even announced a release date for them ("Peter Jackson is busy" my ass, he's not needed for the re-release to BluRay. Bunch of asshats...)). I actually thought you picked up on that (the sarcasm) when you offered BlazBlue as the dueling medium (I was honestly hoping for a Firefly quote from you, specifically from the episode with the duel (Shindig, if memory serves), but I don't know if you're a Browncoat, or if you've ever even watched Firefly, so it was quite the gamble). First of all I don't have a Wii, and secondly I've never played Resident Evil 5 (or any of the Resident Evil games for that matter), so I was just trying to up the ironic humor factor as much as possible, hence the video mocking Versus Mode. Apparently ironic humor is only funny for people who understand the irony at play :/

    ReplyDelete