Sunday, December 19, 2010

2010 in review - biggest regrets.


While, yes, I don't have time to play every game that comes out, I also don't have every gaming rig available or every gamer appetite. Let's be fair - I don't want to play all these games - but I feel I'm lacking the complete gamer experience by having not played them.

These are top ten games I wished I'd played in 2010, either because I want to have a more complete understanding of the gamer vocabulary or because they just look awesome.

In no particular order...




I'm not one for competitive multiplayer, but Bad Company 2 just looks awesome. If I was going to play an online shooter, this would be it. Forget Call of Duty or Halo or Killzone - Bad Company 2 just comes across as pretty damned spectacular.




While I'm told by reputable sources that the sequel is infinitely inferior to the original, Mass Effect 2 was the game no one could shut up about for the first quarter of 2010. It still stands as the second most critically-acclaimed game of the year, and that burns.




Minecraft practically defines the indie success story. It seems to be required reading for any gamer - and judging from screenshots my humble rig could handle it - but I must admit, what I've heard of it just doesn't sound very interesting to me. Oh well.




Because the character designs look pretty crazy and Rent won't shut up about it. I have a copy in my library, I just can't seem to get around to giving it a spin.




Angry Birds seems to be everywhere I look, for the last half of 2010. I'm not usually one for little puzzl-y games like this, but I do want to understand what everybody's going so nuts over. Ooh, it's coming out for PSP! Price it right and you've got a deal, universe.




The first word in JRPGs is still Final Fantasy, and I keep trying my damnedest to enjoy one. I am enjoying what I've played of XIII so far - I just wish I'd gotten to it during the summer lull, so I could include it in conversations on the subject of its genre.




I've been securely in Remedy's corner since the terribly underrated Max Payne 2, and not being able to play their latest stabs at me like a thousand icy needles.

[update] In the time between writing this post and finalizing my GotY stuff, I have played and completed Alan Wake. One down! [/update]




Don't like competitive multiplayer. Don't care for military-themed FPSs. Wish the Call of Duty franchise would just die already.

Want to understand why it's so goddamned popular. Or at least be able to say "yeah, I played that," along with everyone else in the world.




I'll be straight with you: I don't like Super Mario Galaxy. I kept trying to like it. I put ten or twenty hours into it - but it consistently managed to be a game that, to me, wasn't all that much fun to play.

In terms of critical consensus, Galaxy 2 is the best game of the year. I have to - have to believe a lot of that comes from simple Mario Brand Nostalgia, because while I'd like to go out and discover the game all those critics were talking about, I expect what I'd really find is a game that's just as disappointing as its predecessor.




A gorgeous, dark, 2-D puzzle platformer with a unique art style? Oh, pardon me, I'm drooling all over your console, Microsoft.

[update] In the time between writing this post and finalizing my GotY stuff, I have played and completed Limbo. [/update]

* * *

Honestly, Alan Wake and Limbo alone make a pretty good case for 360 ownership - but given that I haven't the time to play all the games I want to on PS3, that would clearly be a foolish purchase.

2 comments:

  1. I won't shut up about it because you have a copy and it's in your library and you can play it and you love games with good plots and this game has the best plot of any game I've ever played of all time and UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you take those multiple consonants with me!

    I know, I know - I've got a five-day work break over Christmas, I'm hoping I can give it a taste then.

    ReplyDelete