Monday, December 27, 2010

And some other movies.

I've managed to sup at the Table of Films quite a bit, lately, and there's a few more flicks that bear mentioning.


I remember this past spring when I saw a huge, building-sized poster for Knight & Day, the new Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz romantic/action vehicle. Deep down inside, I rolled my eyes. I hate Tom Cruise - his mannerisms seem to get more pronounced and locked-in the older he gets. Less of an actor now than a property, really, and he comes across as so damned fake in interviews. Hate him.

I did like him in the first Mission Impossible, though. And Cameron Diaz is still very likable to me - so I gave Knight & Day a chance.

You should too. It's not going to revolutionize anything, but it's got solid, well-directed action and sharp writing - and that's half the battle - and I actually like Tom Cruise in it. A surprisingly enjoyable movie, worthy of additional viewing.




Tron: Legacy, on the other hand, is one of those movies that's alright to see once, but I never want to spend two hours on again.

It keeps its promise - crazy noirish virtual world with neon light-on-black everywhere, and ooh here's some special effects which are on-par with modern ability, here's some crazy sci-fi stuff and here's some decent action - but it is just so goddamned paint-by-numbers.

The film neatly sets up its world, the characters, the rules and several possible outcomes early on - and there is never a question of where this thing is actually headed. Again, it keeps its promise - you wind up precisely where you expect, precisely how you expected to get there - but it would have been nice to have the movie actually surprise you once in a while with... well, anything.

Legacy is designed to be easily digestible for the masses, sheared clean of any potentially rough edges that could cost it valuable revenue - but in doing so it only feels like it's offering half a film, half a story, half of its characters' depth. It posits ideas that I'd like to see explored further - by a movie or book or any media willing to take even one goddamned risk.




Classic creature feature Tremors is available on blu-ray.

This is a good thing.

They're under the goddamned ground!



I just stumbled across this trailer, which has a ridiculous premise, but I expect may be worth one's time. Emily Blunt and Matt Damon are both pretty smart cookies - it's unlikely (certainly not impossible) that they'd get involved in something wholly stupid.

So maybe it just looks stupid, but it's actually awesome. You feelin' me?





Oh, and because I was late showing up to Tron: Legacy, I missed the trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. This will be a pleasant celluloid snack.



No Orlando Bloom! Eeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment