Friday, July 15, 2011

Rrrango!


Rango dropped on Bluray today, and I couldn't be more pleased. Long have I waited to recline in the comfort of my own home and watch the wacky existential misadventures of an imaginative iguana trapped in a literal and symbolic wasteland of anthropomorphic animal desperadoes. In HD.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Rango is an awesome show. How it went to disc after a mere four months is beyond me. At this point, it is far and away the best movie I've seen in 2011, handily beating out this year's summer blockbusters. Speaking of which, I never did a Transformers 3 post, did I? Here it is:


Transformers: Dark of the Moon is eighty minutes of Shia LaBeouf screaming and acting like a dipshit, then thirty minutes of the best, hottest robot-on-robot action this side of a Futurama strip joint. It largely sucks - but it occasionally has awesome giant robots fighting, and it's the best giant robots fighting the series has ever had.

Also, when did Bumblebee become the superawesome black ops autobot? When did Optimus Prime turn into a klutz who constantly trips over shit and gets caught in hanging cables, helpless until he's rescued by a few smaller, more capable autobots?

Also, this shit makes no sense.

Let us think on happier subjects.


Rango is just a lovely film. It's smart, but cute. It's funny, but it has soul. It's ostensibly designed for children, but it goes into some deep waters.

It simply delicious, and if you haven't seen it I say to you, friend: you have done yourself a disservice. Do it for your kids. Do it for the people you care about. Do it for yourself and the love of simple pleasures we all hold dear.

Watch Rango.

No comments:

Post a Comment