Sunday, August 21, 2011

Time for some math!


It's nearly September. Come next month, we will well and truly be entering the fall crush of games. The rising tide will lazily lap against our wallets with this week's Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but let's look beyond that. September, October and November 2011 will be studded with rich deposits of fantastic games, and it's time to exercise some fiscal responsibility - that is to say, it's time to plan out how much this is gonna' cost. I'm only going to list titles that I will or may purchase - sorry, Modern Warfare 3 and Halo : Anniversary - I just don't care about you.

This ain't gonna' be cheap. Bring it on, September!


SEPTEMBER

September 6th
BloodRayne Betrayal
$20(ish) Possible Purchase.


BloodRayne Betrayal - a delightfully-animated 2-D sidescrolling platforming-brawler - looks better than the BloodRayne branding would lead one to believe. I'm not entirely sold on the product - whether or not I snap it up will, I think, depend entirely on where I'm at with my playthrough of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.


September 6th
Dead Island
$60 Day One.

No matter how Deus Ex is progressing, though, I'm sure to pick up Dead Island. Even a steady stream of 7/10 reviews are unlikely to dissuade me from this one.


September 6th
Resistance 3
$60 Potential Purchase.

I'm actually rather fond of Insomniac's Resistance franchise in the same way I'm fond of BioWare's RPGs - but I can't say I'm ravenous to get my hands on the new one. It's very likely this will see a purchase later down the road, at a reduced price.


September 14th
God of War : Origins Collection
$40 Potential Purchase.

The God of War games on the PSP are pretty goddamned incredible, but I'm not sure that will translate to 1080p up-ports being equally engaging. I'm certain to own this disc at one point - but given that these are old games getting a re-release, I'll likely focus on new stuff that's actually new.


September 20th
Gears of War 3
$60 Potential Purchase.

I'm not huge into the Gears franchise - I just feel it doesn't offer as much as Uncharted - but that doesn't stop them from being very-good games. If through some miracle of time management I clear out my backlog and get Gears 2 finished by September? Well sure, there's a distant possibility I'll pick up Gears 3. Unlikely, though.


September 27th
Child of Eden
$30 Potential Purchase.

If you paid attention to reviews of Child of Eden when it broke on the 360 earlier this year, you'll notice that few people had anything bad to say about it. I know it's considered a rhythm-shooter, but to me it's just a very, very good-looking rail shooter (which I abhor). Still, uniformly positive reviews are uniformly positive review - this one goes in the "maybe" pile.


September 27th
The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
$40 Day One.

I've played both these games to hell and back, I likely won't even have time to play this collection in 2011, and I am buying this thing day one - no questions asked.

* * *

SEPTEMBER

Day One total:
$100.00 ($112.oo)

+ Potential Purchases total:
$250.00 ($280.00)

* * *


OCTOBER


October 4th
Dark Souls
$60 Day One.

It's the follow-up to 2009's Demon's Souls. Sold. No discussion.


October 4th
Rage
$60 Day One.

Rage is the newest thing from id, and that's really all I need to know about it. If you paid attention to John Carmack's keynote speech at QuakeCon this year, you'd know that (at that time) they were still in talks with Sony to allow Rage to install more than the standard 5GB to the PS3's HDD in order to get that console's version up to spec. I'll be paying close attention to comparisons of the two console versions - but unless the PS3 version is spectacularly inferior, I'll likely be grabbing it for Sony's system.


October 11th
Sideway : New York

$20(ish) Potential Purchase.

Sideway looks pretty darned cool, but I haven't really heard enough about it to make a commitment. It's unlikely I'll have enough time on my hands to give this little title the attention it deserves - but it certainly bears watching.


October 18th
Batman : Arkham City
$60 Day One.

Rocksteady's Arkham Asylum was one of the better games of 2009 - a game of the year contender - and the crown jewel in the Superhero Game subgenre. We expect nothing less from Arkham City, and I'll be powerless to resist its siren song.


October 18th
Ratchet & Clank : All 4 One
$60 Potential Purchase.

I've never met a Ratchet & Clank game I didn't like, but knowing that All 4 One is a huge departure for the series and styles itself as a four-player cooperative exercise doesn't really blow my skirt up. R&C is like vanilla iced cream - it's delicious all on its own - and now you've added pomegranate seeds to it, because that's become popular lately.

Well, it doesn't taste like vanilla iced cream any more, and that's what I want. We'll see, R&C - we'll see...


October (unspecified)
inFamous 2 : Festival of Blood
$40? Day One.

A Halloween-themed stand-alone inFamous 2 DLC title, Festival of Blood combines inFamous and vampires - and that's all I need to know. I don't care what else is on my plate - it will be pushed to the side so I can play more inFamous 2.


October 25th
Battlefield 3
$60 Potential Purchase.

This is a very possible purchase, and that is in all ways freakish for me. I have never purchased a pure military shooter day-one - they just don't interest me - but everything I've seen of Battlefield 3 (which is, admittedly, PC footage) blows my socks off. It will take some very bad reviews to turn me off this game prior to release.


October 25th
Silent Hill : Downpour
$60 Potential Purchase.

Aside from 2, I've never been very impressed with the Silent Hill series - preferring Fatal Frame or Siren - but I like to keep hope alive. Perhaps Silent Hill : Downpour will be the modern Silent Hill that brings the series back to the obscene level of quality it achieved with Silent Hill 2. I doubt it - but let's leave room for the possibility.


* * *

SEPTEMBER + OCTOBER

Day One total:
$320.00 ($358.0o)

+ Potential Purchases total:
$730.00 ($817.60)

* * *


NOVEMBER


November 1st
Uncharted 3 : Drake's Deception
$60 Day One.

Uncharted was exceptional and Uncharted 2 was an utter masterwork of craftsfolk at the peak of their ability. If Uncharted 3 is anything less than an instant game of the year frontrunner, I will be stunned.


November 8th
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
$50 Day One.

Admittedly, this will be my one dumb, fanboy-driven purchase of the season. I've already played the hell out of all five games included on this disc and I'll have no time to revisit them any time soon. I will buy this on release day, and it will sit in my library - possibly to be left unplayed for months. It's MGS - I'm powerless against it.


November 11th
The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim
$60 Day One.

I didn't care for Oblivion nearly as much as Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I'm not blind - Skyrim looks absolutely incredible. If it turns out to be the fantasy-RPG I've been waiting my entire life for, all the better - and you can bet I'll be on it as soon as it drops.


November 15th
Rayman Origins
$20(ish) Potential Purchase.

I don't have a rich history with the Rayman franchise, but show me a gorgeously animated 2-D platformer with poppy art direction and I'll show you a game I'm probably going to have to buy.


November 20th
The Legend of Zelda : Skyward Sword
$60 Potential Purchase.

I keep waiting for a Zelda game to get its hooks into me like Link To The Past did, and it keeps on not happening - so my hype level for Skyward Sword isn't exactly sky-high. Still, it's pretty much the only major release from Nintendo this year, and that makes it worth checking out.

I'll probably take the sage counsel of reviews on this one.


* * *

SEPTEMBER + OCTOBER + NOVEMBER

Day One total:
$490.00
($548.0o)
with tax

+ Potential Purchases total:
$980.00
($1097.60)
with tax

* * *

So, as we can see, the tail end of 2011 has the potential to be a very expensive season. Still - $600 spread out over three months is entirely doable. The question is how many of those possible purchases I'll be able to resist...

4 comments:

  1. This is why you just stop playing new games and let the fates (and GameFly) decide what to ship you.

    By the way, everything you said about Infamous 2 was correct. The game is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hate this time of year for games because it always ends up being expensive. Of course, I'm only (lol, only) getting ICO/SotC, Dark Souls, Uncharted 3, and Skyrim, but that's still over $230 (with tax). Not to mention I'm barely gonna have time for any of them due to classes.

    Sometimes being a gamer sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No dice, Chamberlain. I read your blog and from the sounds of things I'd really rather not play all those games I haven't been playing.

    And inFamous 2 is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez, Chance! Planning on taking some time off to get through all those purchases? I don't dig why everyone releases all their triple-A games in the same three month period. Dear Publishers, I promise to buy great games throughout the entire year!

    ReplyDelete