Saturday, September 28, 2013

Nine whole minutes of direct-feed Starlight Inception.



Softpedia (which I'd never heard of before today) has a preview article up about Starlight Inception, the Kickstarted spiritual sequel to X-Wing and Wing Commander - but more importantly, they've offered up almost ten minutes of direct-feed footage of what appears to be the game's first mission.  If you're looking for stunning next-gen presentation, look away.  If you were a fan of those classic spacefaring shooters, however, there's a lot to get excited about here.

For some reason, the thing I'm happiest about is the shockwave when you destroy an enemy ship, and the dust and debris field that lingers afterward.  Little details like that really sell the experience, for me - but I'll admit, I'm crossing my fingers that that's placeholder voice work.

That last guy called in his distress signal like he was ordering his morning coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Remember how every explosion in X-Wing was the same one? Ha ha ha... what great memories. And then when TIE Fighter came out, it had gouraud AND phong shading. Or something.

    I can't wait for this. It was a nostalgia trip just watching that video.

    ReplyDelete