Sunday, February 23, 2014

Music!


It feels like it's been far too long since I did up a music post.  Let's remedy that with a music post that's wayyy too big.

I don't think I mentioned it here, but I've got a new job.  Readers who've been with me for a while may recall I worked as a low-level supervisor in a government office.  I've earned a minor promotion to full-fledged public servant, which permits me my own little office, a ton of paperwork to go through each day, and a major perk.

I'm taking over for a woman who's been with the organization for 30+ years, and has kept a tinny little radio on her desk for as long as I've known her.  The other day, when our regional director was strolling around, he chatted with me a bit about the position and I said "I do have one question...", and pointed to the radio.

"Oh, I think it's fine that you keep that," he said.

"I don't want that," I clarified.  "I want to bring in a little docking speaker for an MP3 player."

"I don't think that would be a problem, so long as we're not talking about death metal."

Oh no, we're not talking about death metal.  We are talking about some abjectly weird shit, but we're also talking about a massive variety of shit.  I went through my playlists and threw in everything, trying to be thoughtful of excluding anything with non-radio-friendly lyrics.  I refuse to listen to the radio edit of Cee Lo Green's Fuck You or Kanye's Gold Digger, so those will just have to sit on the sidelines. Additionally, Bed Intruder Song will have no place on my work playlist.  Shame.  That shit's catchy as fuck.

Still, all things told, the playlist ended up at 1007 songs, but I'm sure I'll pare that back given the amount of doubles I'll likely find on there.  What we've got is... eclectic.  Or so I'd like to think.

Now... this post is massive and contains forty or so embedded YouTube videos so, for the sake of your browsers, I'll toss this behind a page break.




Classic blues!







Classic classical!  (For some reason I can't get it to embed with a timestamp today - it's Vivaldi's Four Seasons performed by the Royal Canadian Brass Orchestra, Winter, Allegro.  When we used to go on hours-long car trips through the mountains of B.C, we'd listen to it over and over and over.)

Other!







Classic Canadian rock!







People like to bitch about Nickelback - I've never had a problem with them.  And c'mon, Animals is a fun song. And, of course, no list of Canadian rock would be complete without The Hip.



Classic classic rock!  Creeedennnce.







Zeppelin!  Of course, Zeppelin.  This is, I must admit, probably my single favorite song of all time:



Pop!











Modern electronic/psychedelic!













The Heavy!









Straight-up game soundtracks!









Super-old shit!









Alternative/indie!













And more and more and so much more... The playlist works out to 2.6 days worth of music.

Oh this is gonna' be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment