Monday, March 24, 2014

The Gamer Who Wouldn't Review.


At work today, I was writing the inFamous: Second Son review in my head.  Sort of.  Mulling it over, I mean.

We have a new manager in the office - nice guy - and he told me the other day he has a PS4.  Which, unless I'm mistaken, makes him the only other person in the office with a PS4.  Except he's "not a gamer," he's told me a half-dozen times since this reveal.  He has good things to say about Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and that's about it - he didn't know that Outlast is a thing, for example.

I asked him today if he picked up Second Son over the weekend, and he explained that he does yard work in the summer (it's still very wintery here), and won't be buying any more games 'till next winter.  He asked me if it was good, and I could only ask if he'd played the first two games.

At first he said yes, but it turned out he was thinking about Far Cry 3.  Then he asked me how Second Son was.

"Well it's absolutely gorgeous," was the best I could say without comparing it to the first two games.

"So it's worth buying then, eh?" (We're Canadian.)

"Well..."

But, I'll be honest, I don't want to write that about an inFamous game.  The series has been too good to me, in previous years, to write Second Son off after a single playthrough - even if that's usually all I'm prepared to give a game.

No, I need to spend more time with it until my perception crystallizes into something absolute. Which will be harder than it sounds, because Dark Souls II remains fucking awesome.  I am in possession of the newest, hottest PS4 games (if you wanna' count Ground Zeroes), but I'd much rather keep spending time with my PS3.


I finally grabbed The Forgotten Key off the elite giants beneath the Gutter last night, and returned to its inky depths in search of the greatest greatshield in the game - Havel's Greatshield.  I snagged it, and all the points I'd been pouring in to my carry weight paid off, as I can equip the shield, a full set of armor and my giant sword of ridiculousness without any reduction in roll or run speed.

Delicious.

I took my new gear to the lava pools of the Iron Keep, easily besting the knights guarding the place, but having a bit of trouble with the Smelter Demon.  Havel's shield permits me to entirely block the Smelter's attacks, but once he sets his sword on fire, a bit of fire damage will get through with every strike.

It took a half-dozen attempts - earning roughly 8,500 souls on each trip to him off the knights - and by the time I took him down, my earned souls plus his bounty left me with like 130,000 souls.

Ding, motherfucker.  How can I give that up?

I can't, that's how.

In other news, SteamWorld Dig is a pleasant little diversion, thus far. And that's all I'm givin' you today.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could be satisfied playing a select few games each year, as your coworker does.
    Each time you write about Dark Souls II, it tempts me to buy it. I want to hold off until the price goes down -- like I did for the last two games -- but my excitement has other ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think about that too - that I believe I enjoyed games more when I was younger, and only played a handful a year - but spent much, much more time with each title. It'd save me money, too!

      But I've always been voracious when it comes to consuming what interests me. When I was a kid I'd go to the local library and read every single book on whatever subject was interesting me - and when a given subject ran out of books, I'd move on to another. Video Games : The Subject that Never Runs Out of Books.

      Delete
    2. That's a wonderful way of looking at it. Each game as a child felt more special and precious. Some of those game or books weren't even that good, but it didn't matter. That sort of child-like joy is something I look back on fondly, but it's something that can't be recaptured the same way after that age.

      Delete