Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Games of April 2014.


April is a (pleasantly) lean month of a few small but noteworthy downloadable titles, which I am deeply grateful for, as my March backlog continues to jab tiny needles into my gamer pride.  I'll get to you one day, Phantom Pain.  First up..!


April 1st
Mercenary Kings - a classicy 2D platforming shooter.
PS4, PC
Hype-O-Meter : Day One. 

I'll admit the number of retro indies nowadays is beginning to wear, and I'd like some... y'know, modern indies - but Mercenary Kings is a healthy bit of both.  It has lovely sprite-based 2D pixel graphics - somewhere just north of 16-bit - and a nicely modern take on progression and customization.

I snapped it up when it launched (free on PS+, natch), and I must say I'm enjoying it so far.  I find myself turning back to inFamous: Second Son when it begins to feel a bit grindy, but I definitely look forward to putting more time into it.


April 8th
Telltale's The Wolf Among Us : Episode 3 - A Crooked Mile - a modern take on the classic adventure genre. 
PS3, 360, PC, Mac, iOS
Hype-O-Meter : I already paid for the season, so...

...I'll be picking up Wolf Among Us again.  I started Episode 2 but never finished it, and now, with March's backlog still weighing on me, I don't know when I'll be able to get to it.  I didn't even touch Episode 2 of The Walking Dead's new season... sigh.

If you're looking for a modern story-driven adventure game, this is a great choice - if you're cool with a decidedly un-optimized engine.


April 22nd
Starlight Inception, a classicy space combat sim.
Vita
Hype-O-Meter : I was super-hyped.  Now I'll wait for reviews.

I've been following Starlight Inception since its Kickstarter campaign, and I love the idea behind it - a modern love letter to classic space-opera sims like Wing Commander and TIE Fighter - but that "demo" from last year... that wasn't very good.

That was a long time ago, now, and Escape Hatch have had months to, perhaps, make the game... y'know... fun to play.  I'm not willing to bet my cash on it, however - I'll wait for reviews to sway me.  Give me some seven-out-of-tens and I'll consider it.


April 29th
Daylight, a first-person horror game.
PS4, PC
Hype-O-Meter : We'll see how my backlog's lookin'.

A first-person horror title for PS4?  I just played one of those.

Wait, you're a girl in this one?

Alright, I'm in.


April 30th
Child of Light, a gorgeous 2D fantasy RPG.
PS4, PS3, PC, One, 360, Wii U
Hype-O-Meter : Yeah, Day One.

Developed on the UbiArt Framework engine (which helped Rayman look so gorgeous), Child of Light is Ubisoft's love letter to the RPGs of old.  A totally-2D title, the game follows an enchanted little girl on her quest through a blighted land, with active-time but turn-based combat, and every line of text in the game taking the form of poetry.

I mean c'mon!  That's happening, man.  That's happening.

* * * 

And that's April!  Not a single "major" release, but a lot of cool stuff.  

Who's up for another Mercenary Kings .gif?  This guy

D'awwwg tank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment