Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Madness of Chance.

Y'know what's comin' out on May 6th?


Borderlands 2 on Vita.  It'll be worth keeping an eye on reviews, I reckon.  I do enjoy big triple-A fare on my Vita, but I certainly wasn't the biggest fan of Borderlands 2.

More importantly, however, the PCH-2003 drops on May 6th - that's product code for the new, slim, lighter, longer-battery-life Vita, which replaces the original Vita's ultrasexy OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) screen with your standard high-resolution LED (like the one on your iPhone or iPad).

Its cheaper components will allow Sony to be more competitive with its price, but I found myself suffering flashbacks to the days when all PS3s were backwards-compatible, and Sony slowly phased that out over a year or two.

The original PS3s, you'll recall, had the PS2's "emotion engine" chipset built right in.  It was more expensive to produce, but allowed gamers to continue playing their beloved PS2 library as the PS3 library grew to robust.  As it did, Sony dropped the additional chips to (1) save on the cost of the units and (2) encourage gamers to buy more PS3 games instead of old PS2 games - and I wanted a backwards-compatible PS3 for my PS2 library (the thing essentially acts as a memory card with unlimited space) - but by the time I began looking for one, they were an endangered species.

And here's the thing... I love my Vita.  You know this.  The Vita, and its games, are


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so,


so sexy.

And a big part of that is the sexy OLED screen.  It's... lush, is what it is.  It's luxurious.  It's part of what makes the Vita, in its present form, more of a luxury item than perhaps any other game platform out there.  It's a big part of what makes Vanillaware games, Drinkbox games and Guerilla games so unbelievably good-looking on the thing, and having tasted such sublime visual pleasures, I'm not sure I can bring myself to ever go back again.

I hate the idea of having to.

Yesterday, on the forum I frequent, some folks were chatting about the cheapest way to currently secure a Vita, and they were immediately directed to the upcoming Borderlands 2 bundle.  It brought to mind my fear of playing some of my more beloved properties on a less-than-ideal screen, and I mentioned I'd promised myself that I would buy a backup OLED Vita before the new LED slims took over.  A fellow forumer noted that they thought they'd heard Sony say the new Slim wasn't meant to push the old OLEDs from the market, to which I could only reply,
"If they did, I never heard it - and if I had, I wouldn't've believed it. Trying to find a BC PS3 in... I wanna' say '07 was a pain in the ass."
So, last night, I went down to my local Best Buy and tried to buy an original OLED Vita now, before the new slims became available.  But here's the thing - the OLEDs are gone, man.

They're gone.

I checked Best Buy, Future Shop, Superstore, Wal-Mart, EB Games.  I called around.  I searched online.  Nobody carries the Vitas.  They still have Vita sections, but they either sold out long ago and haven't had their stock of the platforms replaced by Sony or - in the case of Best Buy and Future Shop - I was told the Sony reps actually called the stores and told them to send the OLEDs back to Sony.

They actually took them off the shelves without selling them.  I've no clue why, but... I began to get a bit panicky.  I continued my search online - Amazon's got 'em for $250 - a far cry above the $200 they've been selling for lately, so I kept looking, and finally found one listed to an EB games 100 miles outside of my city.

Kayla and I were on our way there (today was a shopping day - I also got new earbuds and a new spring jacket, and we lined up a new bed I suspect we'll buy) when I got the bright idea of calling a local independent store that's been quite good to me in the past.

PnP Games still had an original, sealed, WiFi OLED Vita - two hundred bucks.

And now I was at the crossroads.  Am I seriously going to be a guy with two Vitas?  How fucking bourgeois is that?

Well, as it happens, it's just bourgeois enough.


Princess Kenny will go on my desk at work.  I pulled the new Vita out of its packing long enough to apply a screen protector and test the screen, and it immediately went back in its box, which is now entombed in my games safe.  I shan't touch it again, until my current Vita (knock on wood) gives up the ghost - which, I hope, is never.

But, should that day ever come (knock on wood), I won't have to settle for a downgraded LED screen.

There are no pills for this.

2 comments:

  1. I'd make fun of you for this, but the guy who owns both a PS4 and an Xbox One really shouldn't be throwing any stones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's fair to say we're both monsters.

      Delete