Monday, May 12, 2014

Borderlands 2, Vita and temptation.


Borderlands 2 on Vita will become available tomorrow, and, I suspect, reviews will finally go up.  Reactions from media have been profoundly mixed, so far (these guys love it, these guys hate it), with framerate issues and crashes being among the most-egregious problems noted.  It sounds like Gearbox, kinda' pulled an Aliens: Colonial Marines on us again, in that they farmed out the Vita port to a low-ranking studio, and that studio couldn't quite make the Vita sing.

...on the other hand, it's Borderlands 2 on Vita - the single biggest release the platform has seen thus far in 2014, discounting JRPGs and the God of War Collection - and I worry that Sony or other publishers will use the sales of a sub-par port to gauge the Vita's potential to support larger titles like this.  They've already said as much, essentially.
"The economics simply don’t work with the traditional process. We have to do something different to get AAA games on Vita. We accomplished it to a certain degree by making PS4 games work on Vita via remote play. PS Now will be another way, streaming PS3 games on Vita. I can’t wait until PS Now is out on Vita – I hope you’ll try out the experience and let me know what you think."
-Don Mesa, Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA
...which I really hope is bullshit.  Perhaps it's true, just by virtue of how small the Vita's installed base is, in North America, but I'm praying that Japanese development (some lovely things on the horizon, there - all exclusively from Japan, if you don't count indies) keeps the platform afloat for long enough for that base to broaden, a bit - to the point that the platform can support big, awesome games like Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Dragon's Crown and Muramasa without caveat.

I didn't buy my Vita to stream PS4 content.  I bought it to play fucking Vita games.

I got nothin' against indies - Hyper Light Drifter and Galak-Z are hugely-anticipated titles, for yours truly, but Goddamnit - I want Gravity Rush 2!

Speaking of Gravity Rush, this thing exists - or will, soon:



Now... okay, yes, I'm tempted.  I love Gravity Rush - that's no secret - but I'll admit, the pose doesn't really grab me.  If it were like, her awkward arm-flailing knees-bent air-slide pose (which it's impossible to take or find a decent screenshot of) - that I would buy.  But this, I think, I can let slide.

What I'm not sure I can let slide is my curiosity about Borderlands on Vita.  I could see myself enjoying that, despite any technical gubbins... and it launches tomorrow (along with Skullgirls Encore for PS+)...

No comments:

Post a Comment