Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Game Diary - Wolfenstein: The New Order.


Today I got home with a brand spankin' new copy of Watch Dogs. I unsealed it, inhaled that sweet, sweet new game smell, put it aside and kept on truckin' through Wolfenstein: The New Order.

It's... exactly what I wanted it to be.  It's giddily violent and sardonic and - surprisingly - pleasantly human in its quieter moments.  I enjoyed its story and story presentation far more than I anticipated - and when I get home tomorrow, I'm not going to not play Watch Dogs again.

Before I do, I'm gonna' make sure I have the screenshots I need.  Then, I'm gonna' explain to you why you should check out Wolfenstein.  Short version: because it's wonderful.

5 comments:

  1. I remember going into the darkness 2 with ungodly low expectations and being blown away with the writing and acting.

    Good to know they still got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darkness II was Digital Extremes, a Canadian company. Machine Games (Wolfenstein have no other titles to their credit, but some key members were higher ups at Starbreeze, who made the first Darkness game and the Riddick titles.

      One dev I was surprised to see in the credits of Wolfenstein was Behavior Interactive - those are the folks who made Wet and Naughty Bear, after they changed their name from Artificial Mind & Movement (A2M brought up some undesirable results in search engines).

      Delete
    2. Ah. I'm thinking of Paul Jenkins then.

      Delete
  2. A guy I know from one of the local stores (grocery+housewares chain) who I talk to about games whenever he's in told me that Wolfenstein had sort of a....he said "Kinda like a Tarantino vibe to it" which kind of interested me greatly. Just in some of how the characters were, how some of the talky bits went, stuff like that, not an overriding theme.

    Does that sound right? Because I could dig that, especially if the game is as good as it's being said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds precisely right. Review's gonna' go up in a few minutes.

      Delete