Friday, May 2, 2014

PSN's sales are officially approaching Steam territory.


Dig this, my friends.  Long has the assertion been held that PSN doesn't approach the success and consumer-friendly nature of steam, simply because PSN's never had sales that approach the ridicul-awesome nature of Steam's - sales in which you end up with twenty awesome games for under a hundred, or under fifty, or - sometimes - far less.

Well, PSN is officially approaching Steam territory with its current sales.  First up, you've got the Golden Week Sale, which went into effect on Tuesday.  Named for Japan's most cherished of holidays and offering some fantastic Japanese games, this one's worth checking out if you favor the Vita or PS3. To quicken the pace, I'm just going to list the price with PS+.  Here are some highlights:

The legendary Chrono Trigger (PS3, Vita, PSP) is $3.50.  Some folks will tell you that this version of the old SNES RPG isn't up to par (it has load times) - but it's still Chrono Trigger, damnit.




Persona 4 Golden for Vita - the definitive version of one of the greatest JRPGs of all time - is $14.62.





The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for PS3 is $12.   The Vita version (which only contains MGS2 and 3) is $9.





The Zone of the Enders HD Collection is $10.49.

Muramasa Rebirth, one of my all-time-favorite Vita games, is $7.50.  Oh my God, if you have a Vita and don't buy this right now, I'll never forgive you.  Mogs.





The Atelier series has three deals going on, with Atelier Ayesha : The Alchemist of Dusk (PS3 - $24.50), Atelier Meruru Plus: The Apprentice of Arland (Vita - $19.60) and Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland (Vita - $19.60).

I never finished Totori - always wanted to - and I'll admit, the Meruru Plus price has me tempted.

Now... these aren't mind-blowing prices, I'll admit  - except for Muramasa, you should get on that - but this weekend's flash sale pushes things into ridiculous territory.  These games are five bucks each:



Now, I know what you're thinkin'.  You're thinkin' Chance, are these games worth five bucks each?

Well,

GTA IV - yes.
Red Dead Redemption - an emphatic yes.
Max Payne 3 - God, yes. 
BioShock - definitely.
BioShock 2 - totally. 
Guacamelee - definitely.
L.A. Noire - mehhh... 
Darksiders - absolutely.
Duke Nukem Forever - no, no.  God no.  Absolutely not.  
Mini Ninjas - yes. 
Spec Ops: The Line - yes.  When I reviewed it, I specifically recommended waiting for a price drop, and now's the time, Son.

Very nice, Sony.  Very nice.   Now, to convince myself I don't need digital copies of a half-dozen awesome games...

No comments:

Post a Comment