Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Fewer first-party games coming for Vita, says Shu Yoshida.


Shu Yoshida, who's pictured above not singing a heartfelt rendition of I Don't Want To Miss A Thing had an interview with Polygon where he kinda' flat-out states that the amount of first-party support the Vita's had in the past six months - that is to say, zero - is going to be the norm moving forward.
""It's very fortunate that the indie boom happened and they are providing lots of great content to Vita," he said. " Gameplay, game mechanic wise, people want to spend 10 minutes, 15 minutes getting in and out. On Vita, it's great with suspended functionality, so these indie games really great for that from a game design standpoint.

"Instead of watching big stories or cinematics, you can spend hours on Vita. So, I think that's actually the biggest star to help provide great content to Vita going forward. And we continue to make games cross-platform games, especially on digital side."

Do you think the Vita then will be getting fewer first-party games, I asked.

"I would say, yes, that's correct," Yoshida said."
-Polygon-
What a ghastly thought.  No Vita-native God of War?  No sequel to Golden Abyss?  No Gravity Rush 2?

You monster.

Dude.  Shu.  I love playing God of War on my Vita.  I love that Borderlands 2 is on there - way more than I thought I would!

But... I'll admit... the last three games I played on my Vita were Surge Deluxe (meh), Hotline Miami (heart) and today, I tried out Terraria on my lunch break.  The indies are great - I'm not saying they're not great - but they're only a part of what makes the Vita's library so compelling.

Games like this are awesome, I'll admit:


C'mon - we all love Hotline Miami and Guacamelee and Velocity Ultra - but that's not why we bought our Vitas, Shu.  We bought them on the promise if games like this

An actual screenshot of Killzone Mercenary

and this


and this:


That's the promise of the Vita.  And, thus far, it's kept it beautifully.  Don't let it slip away now.

You monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment