Thursday, June 12, 2014

Wow. Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undreassed sounds like a game I want.


I never gave Akiba's Trip the time of day.  I knew the basic idea - you're visiting the geek district, Akihabara - which is exactly where I'd want to go if I ever visited Japan (it's like Video Game Central).  Where things get a bit "ehhh I'm not sure I need that" is the idea that you defeat your enemies by stripping them naked.


"Oh Japan," was my reaction, the two-dozen times I saw some coverage of Akiba's Trip.  No, I don't care that you're stripping them naked because they're vampires and you can only truly defeat them by exposing them to the sun.  It's a game about stripping girls - that's it.  Piss off.

What, you also strip dudes?


Okay, that does make it less awful.  And funnier. It feels less horn-doggish and more slap-sticky, now - not that I think it's entirely devoid of horn-doggery.

And you can pick up any weapon your enemies drop?  Yeah, that's cool. I mean, we all like an assortment of 80 equippable weapons.  Who doesn't?

And all of the real-life Akihabara locations are licensed by the developer and faithfully recreated to provide a genuine sense of place?  And the stores will actually play the music in the game that they use in real life... Um...

And you can customize your fighting (and stripping) style...  There's a one called King of the Drunken Fist...


And you can equip every single piece of clothing you've ripped off enemies on your character for customization?  That's... that's awesome...

And you run around with narrative-central AI companions who help you out and you have co-op action ultra-strips...

There's in-game email... in-game Twitter... and you get emails from your friends and spam emails...

You can customize your walk... to walk like a zombie...


And I'm... I'm...

I'm getting Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed.

I mean how often do we get a larger, tripler-A title like this on Vita?  Not often enough, since Killzone Mercenary and Tearaway.  We get up-ports of important PS2 titles - and those are great - and I'll be the first to tell you that Borderlands 2 is actually quite nice to have on the thing - but this is a nice, big, Vita-native proper open-world brawler with high production values and what sounds like a ton of content.

Yep.  Sold.  Here's the video that sold me:



Coming this summer!  I'm adding that to the Coming in 2014 post.

No comments:

Post a Comment