Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The sexiest knife in the world.


Last week, I tried to cut a tomato with my old butcher's knife (I was makin' burgers), and it wouldn't slice through the skin.  It like, crushed part of the tomato before it managed to start cutting it.

So, there's that.

Kayla and I are planning a move together, and so have begun poking around furniture shops and home-stuff shops and, the other day because I continue attempting to perfect my fettuccine alfredo recipe, a slightly upper-scale chef's store, offering really good versions of common products.  I bought a cheese planer last week (alfredo success: obtained, but not yet perfected), and bore witness to this obscenely good-looking knife.

With you, I shall do wonders.

Two hundred dollars.

Japanese make.  Folded Damascus steel, which grants you the gorgeous finish of the hamon, revealing the folds, and creates a blade that holds an incredible edge - yes, it is folded just like a Samurai sword.  And quality's awesome - we all love quality - but such beautiful quality.  This knife is a young Meryl Streep.

It's Michael Fassbender, The Knife.


It's called the Shun Classic 10-Inch Chef's Knife.  Ahm in lurrv.

When Kayla and I went back in today, I asked about honing the edge - y'know that thing you see chefs do where they take this like, metal stick and draw the blade down it?  I don't know much, but I know enough to know that's called honing - rather like when an old-timey barber would slap his straight razor up and down a leather strap - it re-aligns the edge of the blade, and extends its life before it needs to be seriously sharpened again.

The lady at the store told me their honers go from $40 to $200, and I explained that I would start with a forty dollar one, thank you very much.  She went in the back to wrap it up, and came out with this,



which is the Shun brand's own honing steel.  The store's resident Knife Guy insisted that because the Shun blade used the harder Damascus steel, it required a different honing steel (honing steel must be harder than the knife steel).

Fortunately, YouTube is here to teach me how to hone a knife edge, and between Jamie Oliver and this learned fellow, I think I've got it down.

Oh, and Kayla bought a knife block/knife set called The Ex, which I choose to believe isn't foreshadowing.

Oh come on.  That's awesome.  You know it is.  You're jealous. 

2 comments:

  1. Have you been to Damascus Lawrence?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZQAHJawdZ0&feature=player_detailpage#t=19

    They have fucking rad steel there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually never seen Lawrence of Arabia.

      Delete