Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Bought Bayonetta 2...


...and put it in the safe with the rest of my games, where it shall languish, untouched.  Perhaps forever.

Stuff like this can happen, it seems.  And exclusively with Nintendo platforms. I have a copy of Okamiden in my safe that I've never played, for example.

I bought Muramasa: The Demon Blade a very, very long time before I bought my Wii. It, and Kirby's Epic Yarn, which was meh, are the only two Wii games I've ever played to completion.

I've tried the Mario Galaxy games (*1), I tried Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword (*2) and Donkey Kong Country Returns (*3), but Nintendo's first-party offerings have long since lost their grip on me.  I kinda' feel like reviewers are just drunk on Nintendo spooge every time a new Mario game comes out and gets nines across the board.
   1 - shitty controls.
   2 - shitty controls and design.
   3 - fuck off, waggle!

And yet, I bought Muramasa - soley out of love for its history, and developer Vanillaware.  Similarly, I bought Bayonetta 2 because it's the sequel to one of the best brawlers ever made.  The thought process works like this:

I don't, currently, want a Wii U.

I may never want a Wii U.

It's also possible that, one day, I may want a Wii U.

I will never want a Wii U, if I don't have a copy of Bayonetta 2 to play on it.

Ergo, I bought Bayonetta 2.

3 comments:

  1. You actually did it, you madman!
    I hope one day by some miracle you'll be able to play it. You won't be let down by Bayo 2.
    I started it yesterday and can just gush on and on about it. The game is so goddamn beautiful, I can't stop taking screenshots and uploading them to my Flickr. Enough gushing, I don't want you to hate me.

    Also, I can see how the 1st-party Wii games didn't grab you. I enjoyed enjoyed them when they first came out (Heck, I 100%'ed Mario Galaxy 1&2 and Country Returns, I beat Twilight Princess twice, and I slogged through all 50+ hours of Skyward Sword).
    Games like Galaxy and Country Returns haven't really aged all that well for me. Looking back, they lack a certain SOMETHING I can't quite put my finger on. The controls deprive them of good "game feel."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God someone agrees with me on the controls. Finally! (Thank you!)

      Delete
    2. It's kinda not hard to agree. Even if you like those games, the controls still stick out as one of the biggest faults. Waggle just isn't a precise and reliable method of input compared to a simple button press.
      For example, the game feel of Country Return pales in comparison to its successor, Tropical Freeze. The traditional controls made a world of difference.

      Delete