Friday, December 12, 2014

Game Diary.


Since abandoning Nameless Kingdom, I turned to Velocity 2X and burned through it in about two days.  After, I dabbled a bit in Dragon's Crown - considered going back to Don't Starve (but feared if I did, I might never return) - and opened up the Vita's port of the Ratchet & Clank HD Collection.

God, these games are marvelous.  Going Commando was always my favorite of the three, and it's a touch irksome that they've relegated the strafe button to the rear touchpad, but it doesn't end up hurting the very special flavour the series is heir to.  There is such joy, here, in exploring strange alien worlds, leaping between levitating platforms and blowing shit up with an ever-expanding arsenal of ridiculous weaponry.   I'm definitely going to finish GC, and then I feel I might take a stab at Up Your Arsenal - I hear I can map strafe to the trigger in that one.

The R&C collection on Vita is, for me, one of the most valuable titles on the platform.


Prior to Dr. McNinja's arrival, I'd totally forgotten that I had yet to finish the sixth volume of the Lone Wolf and Cub omnibus.  I polished it off and finally cracked open Dr. McNinja.  Years after having been introduced to the good(ish) doctor, it's... a lot like going back to Ratchet & Clank, actually.  There's a gleeful earnestness to the comic, and it's comforting to know its current stories are just as funny and batshit-crazy as the original arcs.

It is high time to be worrying about Game of the Year deliberations.  The folks at the Penny Arcade forums put together and finalized their Best Vita Games of 2014 list before I'd even bothered to vote (what I took away from it: maybe I should try that Tales game on Vita).  Anyway, if I don't get a move on, December will pass me by without putting my own yearly tradition to bed... but y'know what's on my mind?  It's not really what's been on my PS4 or Vita in the past year.  It's what's going to be on it in the future.



I am still so pumped about The Banner Saga and Darkest Dungeon coming to Vita.  I am going to play the ever-loving crap out of those games... and I really should put together a Hype List post for 2015 (Galak-Z would be at the top, again)...

But no, it's time to think about the games of 2014.  The games I want to re-play and re-familiarize myself with.  It's not a long list, but there simply aren't enough hours in a day to really put time into each one, as a refresher.

  • South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Olli Olli
  • Dustforce
  • Dark Souls II
  • inFamous: Second Son
  • Dead Nation (Vita)
  • Transistor
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
  • Rogue Legacy
  • Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
  • Octodad: Dadliest Catch
  • Genroku Legends: Fishy Tales of the Nekomata
  • Don't Starve: Giant Edition
  • Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)


...the list of games I will play before settling in to things is much shorter, and is a pretty good preview of where my opinions lay:

  • Alien: Isolation
  • Dark Souls II
  • Genroku Legends: Fishy Tales of the Nekomata
  • Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
  • Don't Starve: Giant Edition
...and probably some GTA V.  But, to be honest, it's going to be a very hard sell to get Far Cry 4 out of my PS4.  For the moment, I think I'll worry about procuring some precious hamburgers. 

Some of you get this, and I love you for it.
But seriously, Kayla and I are going for hamburgers.

2 comments: