Nordic Games, who walked away with the Darksiders IP for a song when THQ shut down, are bringing the imperfect but perfectly charming Darksiders II to current-gen consoles. No release date beyond "winter," but their press release is... interesting.
Reinhard Pollice, Business & Product Development Director at Nordic Games: “We took over the franchise roughly 2 years ago and thought about the next chapter for Darksiders ever since then. Naturally (and extremely excitedly!), there will be a large-scale project based on Darksiders,There will? Really?
...but for now it is very important for us to take care of the existing games and make those available to a broader audience. Bringing Darksiders 2 to current gen was a logical step for us and the team at Gunfire Games know their trade inside-out, so we easily and quickly had lots of ideas that we wanted to realise for this specific edition.”So... Nordic plans to make a "large-scale" Darksiders project, and they're working with Gunfire games. This press release seems to be trying to spin it as if the Gunfire Crew are actually the folks who made Darksiders - as if this is equivalent to Fallout: New Vegas being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, who are essentially the dudes who made the original Fallout under the name Black Isle.
“It feels good to be working on Darksiders again, after a couple of years of hiatus”, comments David Adams, founder and president of Gunfire Games. “This project is a great opportunity for us to pick up where we left off two years ago and dig deeper into the game, which is close to all our hearts. Bringing the definitive Darksiders 2 experience to life is something that we hope a lot of people will enjoy and look forward to.”
...but here's the thing. That is exactly what this is. David Adams is one of the creators of Darksiders.
Here's what happened. Vigil made Darksiders. THQ bought Vigil. Vigil made Darksiders 2. THQ went under. The Vigil team went to Crytek as Crytek USA. Crytek had to make major cutbacks, and Crytek USA shut down. The team left Crytek and formed Gunfire Games. In fact, of the twenty-two employees at Gunfire Games, twenty were there at Vigil, working on Darksiders 2. They are the core group who put Darksiders together.
So, what do we have?
- Nordic says they want to do something big with the Darksiders IP.
- They're testing the waters with the Deathinitive Edition to see what kind of market still exists for the property.
- They've formed a professional partnership with the developers of Darksiders - and up-porting a last-gen game to new-gen hardware is a pretty common step for developers, before tackling a full-on new-gen title.
Be still my beating heart. Please let this happen.
Anyway. More bullet points!
- Darksiders 2 with All DLCs* included and integrated into the game, offering a total playtime of more than 30 hours
- *(Maker Armor Set, The Abyssal Forge, The Demon Lord Belial, Death Rides, Angel of Death, Deadly Despair, Shadow of Death, Mortis Pack, Rusanov's Axe, Van Der Schmash Hammer, Fletcher's Crow Hammer, Mace Maximus, Argul's Tomb)
- Improved Graphic Render Engine for higher visual quality especially in terms of lighting and shadows
- Improved and reworked level, character and environment graphics
- Running in native 1080p resolution
- Reworked and tuned game balancing and loot distribution