Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Game Diary - in brief.


First off, I have been enjoying the hell out of Batman: Arkham Knight.  Unlike some reviewers, I've never felt troubled by the Batmobile's presence - I feel like it achieves a good mix, and that's not fifty or forty or thirty percent Batmobile stuff.  It's in there, but it's just one facet of a gem whose other sides sport lovely combat, just-right puzzles, pulpy mysteries, super-fun gliding mechanics and one of the awesomest Batman stories there has ever been.

If you've seen any reviews, you know there's a Spoiler no one will tell you about - and I'm not going to be the one who does (not without very ample warning, at least) - but its impact, its implementation and the insight it reveals into Arkham Knight's hero is profound.

Elsewhere, a few weeks ago I actually blew forty dollars on Tales of Hearts R on Vita.  I put two or three hours into it, decided I wasn't having any fun and walked away.  During the PSN flash sale this past weekend, Hyperdimension Neptunia's Vita port dropped to six bucks, and I figured what the heck.  For six bucks, I could afford to be wrong.

Hyperdimension Neptunia, it's worth noting, is a fourth-wall-shattering JRPG that takes place in the magical kingdom of Gameindustri, and the main character is an anthropomorphized version of the Sega Neptune - the theoretical successor to the Sega Saturn, that never existed.  Her peers are personifications of the Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360, and the game is... cute.


And funny.  And entertaining. The combat, as well, feels immediately more interesting than Hearts as, despite its turn-based nature, it already offers a nice amount of strategy in terms of positioning, tricking your enemies into gathering together and guard breaks.

It's fun.  So far.

And now I'm going to go play more Batman - excuse me.

1 comment:

  1. I know! the b-mobile is... fine. I have no idea what crawled up Jim Sterling's butt. The amount of puzzles they squeeze out of it (that are genuinely engaging) negate the iffy steering. Plus the thing eats corner stones and load bearing poles for breakfast. It's not like the environment ever slows you down.

    P.S. Jim Sterling is a prince of a duke of a critic.

    ReplyDelete