Saturday, August 8, 2015

Game diary - Galak-Z.

No posts since Wednesday.  You can thank Galak-Z.  

I'm very, very happy with the game - aside from the fact that I can't play it on my Vita.  There's discussion to be had about its unforgiving Roguelike nature - a change from its original Metroidvania pitch - and the randomized nature of the gear you'll have access to in any given season, but in The Important Way, Galak-Z is exactly what I wanted it to be.  

Today, while playing, I found myself thinking of another gorgeous title in which you pilot a tiny ship against impossible odds, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.  I was super, super hyped for that game too - but that was largely due to its Metroidvania promise and its stunning presentation. 


Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is, however, a largely forgettable experience.  Its design was middle-of-the-road and, crucially, its adorable little flying saucer was not fun to fly.  It was just a twin-stick affair.  You didn't need to be particularly involved in the act of navigating your little ship this way and that, because it would move precisely in the direction you nudged the analog stick.  Flying was boring.

Galak-Z doesn't have that problem, and it will not soon be forgotten. 


Repeatedly in interviews and previews, 17-Bit's Jake Kazdal would insist that Galak-Z has more in common with Far Cry 3 than any 2D space shooter you're familiar with, and he's right in the most crucial way.

Like Far Cry 3, like inFamous 2, like Don't Starve, like Mark of the Ninja, Galak-Z is constantly and consistently engaging, and engaged with the player.

It
is
so
much
fun, you guys.

We have a few heavy hitters yet to go, and I need to weigh this thing carefully against Bloodborne, but if my play time and number of gleeful woop!s is any indication, I think I may be looking at the 2015 Game of the Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment