Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Da-na dun dun dun. Another one bites the dust.

Today - The Escapist.


This popped up in the Twittersphere today.  Defy media (who you'll remember also gave GameTrailers the boot) have shut down the The Escapist's headquarters.  An official statement from Defy indicates that "a small number of people were impacted," but folks who actually, y'know, work at that office (or did, 'till today) report that every single full-time member of the staff has been laid off.

The Escapist has another, smaller office in Seattle, and Defy has said that the site will continue on - albeit with a much, much smaller staff.

Sorry, Escapites.  Nobody's backin' a Patreon for you, I think.

I will miss Critical Miss, though.  That's a quality gaming webcomic.

6 comments:

  1. I've lived in durham my entire life... I had no IDEA defy media was down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus they've been dead to me since they pimp slapped Movie Bob. Any outlet that treats talent that badly deserves a slow death.

      Delete
  2. At least Bob landed on his feet though : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he makes twice what I make a month on patreon. I'm just glad their cynical plan to survive without an real editorial voice was bust.

      Ciritical miss will land on it's feet too, I'm sure.

      Delete
    2. It's a terrible news for anyone let go. If Bob and Jim Sterling are anything to go by, all of them will be much better off out of the hands of Defy.

      Delete
  3. Defy definitely devil. I wonder if Patreon income is tax free..?

    ReplyDelete