Thursday, March 31, 2016

Senran Kagura's Daidōji joins the cast of Uppers!

And I wouldn't put that exclamation point there, except... well, here's today's trailer for Uppers.



Now, Uppers appeals to me mostly because it's a new brawler under the wing of Senran Kagura producer Kenichiro Takaki - and Senran Kagura is (to me, at least) a super-fun brawler - and Uppers takes a few step back from the problematic objectification and sexualization of SK.  It doesn't leave the room, but it backs well up from SK's passionate pastiche.

Now the two games, in terms of their brawling flavor, seem very different.  Uppers seems a slower-paced affair - a very up-close-and-personal brawler, with maybe six to ten enemies onscreen at a time.  Senran Kagura (on PS4) will throw 100+ enemies at the player at once, plus a boss or two, and it plays super fast.  I can't assured you that Uppers is actually fun, what with the whole not-having-played-the-Japan-only-demo thing, but folks who have assure me that it is, in fact, fun.

Which is important.

So Uppers appeals to me.  And now they've added Daidōji.

She doesn't have that awesome super-saiyan hair until she transforms into Shinobi mode.

...Daidōji!

Daidōji has usurped Katsuragi as my favorite Senran Kagura fighter.  Like Kat, she's a charge character (you can tap the button or hold it for a more powerful variation of a blow/entirely different move).  Unlike Kat she's not about flashing you her pantsu or groping your chest.  She is Mugen and Jin in Samurai Champloo.  She wanders the earth, seeking powerful warriors to test her skill against, hoping and praying to find someone stronger - and always being disappointed.

Behold.  Daidōji.  There are a lot of problems with Estival Versus, but she isn't one of them.



I play her more than any other Estival Versus character, so I fool around with her costumes a lot.  Her hair and dress at the very start of this gameplay is her normal hair - everything else has been fiddled with.

Also I was super-sad when I dropped my combo after killing the last Bear Ninja.  Getting any charge character's combo up over 1000 is not an easy task.

Oh, so anyway - Uppers.  Uppers drops July 14 in Japan, and Daidōji's inclusion is a first-print bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment