Thursday, April 28, 2016

Dark Souls III is the last Dark Souls for a while.


Who said that?  Who said that just this week on their weirdly popular podcast?  That From Software was gonna' step away from the Dark Souls series and make a new thing?  Oh right it was me!

The cool peeps over at NeoGAF translated a Chinese-language interview with (series creator) Hidetaka Miyazaki, and there's two interesting things.  First off, there will be two pieces of DLC for Dark Souls III - one coming Fall 2016, and another coming Spring 2017.

Second, and more importantly, the studio is stepping back from Dark Souls to create a new IP:
"...if a FROM Software developer come to me five years from now and beg ‘please let me make another Dark Souls‘. Then I will not rule out the possibility to let my subordinates start a new project.

What is certain for now is, to me personally Dark Souls is over. So rather than make another sequel, I think it’s time we take a step to a new direction. Development of a new IP has already begun."
Please something set in Japan with all kinds of Shinto spirits.  I wanna' fight a nine-tailed fox with nothin' but a katana and some skill in a From Software game.

4 comments:

  1. You shut your filthy mouth! Romantic grimdark Samurai times or bust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about grimdark japan in the 20's? British imperialism AND edo period costumes.

    eh? eeeeeeeh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not without my shinto gods to slay.

    ReplyDelete