Thursday, May 26, 2016

Damnit, I'm buying another figure.

I still haven't set up my second Detolf yet!  I haven't even filled up the first one!  I haven't taken Nendo Venom Snake and Nendo Raiden and Nendo Vader out of their boxes!  And yet...


Why?  What could prompt me to order another figure that won't come out for another six months after pretty much abandoning the hobby?  Well... Momohime.

Now, readers will know, I already have Momohime.  Momohime, the Samurai princess from Vanillaware's Muramasa: The Demon Blade, was the first Japanese figure I ever bought, wayyy back in the ancient times.  2013.

This is Alter's Momohime, which was released wayyy back in 2010.


Note the near-flatness of the eye colors, the simplicity of the hilt of her sword, the generally-matte coloring.  All that being said, I love this figure.  This is my favorite figure, and I have one or two figures.

This is 2017's Alter Momohime 'Oironaoshi.'


Note the slight bump in detail on her hairpiece, the softer shading on the eyes (more evocative of Vanillaware artist George Kamitani's style), the golden sword guard and the slight sheen - they're calling it a "pearl coating" - to her kimono.

Oironaoshi means "changing clothes," basically, and it's not uncommon for figures to get recolored variants - but the recolors are often huge changes from the original.  For example, there's the original Samurai from 7th Dragon 2020 and the recolor variant.  Totally different.

Not Momohime.  Almost all the colors (except that of the sword's hilt and handle) are essentially identical, but in the recolor, everything is simultaneously softer and sharper.


She just looks more like the original art.  Now I know, you may be thinkin'. "Chance you already fucking have the Momohime figure.  You don't need another Momohime figure."

And you're right.  But I also don't need a PS4 or a Vita, yet here we are.  This is happening.  Not least because last year my Momo fell and this tiny speck of paint chipped off the hair on her ponytail - you'd never notice it if I didn't point it out to you, and even I have trouble finding it sometimes - but it threw Momo's fragile mortality into stark relief.

I mean, she's my favorite figure.  As a responsible person, I gotta' have a backup.

Obviously.






You can order the oironaoshi variant of Alter's Momohime right now on AmiAmi, or wherever fine figures are sold - but I'm familiar with AmiAmi, so I'm stickin' with them.  You order now, and pay when the thing ships - this December.

2 comments:

  1. *insta pre-ordered*

    I've been wanting this figure ever since playing Muramasa all those years ago. I missed the original release, then again I missed the pre-order window on the subsequent reissue a few years after that.
    This time, that useless PVC luxury item will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete