Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Hans Ferber Memorial Playlist.

My Dad died.

Thought I should let you know.

I gave the eulogy.  A lot of folks told me it was really good, so I'm hoping they weren't just being nice.  'Cause if there's an appropriate time to be nice to someone, it's at their Dad's funeral. My Mom said she wanted my Dad's music to be playing, and my little brother (who's been saddled with a bunch of legal obligations) seemed grateful when I told him I could put a USB together pretty easily.

And I suppose I've got a lot to say about my Dad (and did), but it's not really something I want to chat about, here.  I'll tell you this - I love Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix and Creedence Clearwater Revival because my Dad did.  And I'll tell you that whenever we were driving around and Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight came on the radio, he had this little ritual he did every time.

He would reach over for the window controls and roll up every window in the car, sealing the sound in, and keeping the noise from the street out.  He would reach over for the volume dial and slowwwly turn it up until the car was shaking from the bass and it was so loud it hurt your ears.  And the volume would stay there for the duration of the song.



I remember seeing an eight-track once in my life.  He was really excited to show it to me.   It was his old copy of Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild.





I probably sing, a bit, because my Dad did.  He didn't sing very well, I suppose, but when Bad To The Bone or Jimi's All Along The Watchtower came on, he would belt it out.



NO REASON TO GET EXCITED!!!

THE THIEF HE KINDLY SPOOOWK!

THERE ARE MAN-Y HERE A-MONG US!

WHO FEEL THAT LIFE IS BUT A JOOOWK!



BUT YOU AND I WE'VE BEEN THROUGH THAT


AND THIS IS NOT AHHH FAYYYTE!

SO LET US NOT TALK-UH FALLLSE-LY NOW. 

THE HOUR-AH'S GETTIN'-A LATE!

YEAH!!!

I'm not prepared to repost the eulogy, but here's my favorite part: 
"...what kindness there is in me comes from his example.  Hans Ferber taught me how to love well. The best parts of me are reflections of his goodness."
I miss you, Dad.  I always will.

We were so lucky to have you.

1 comment: