Sunday, July 10, 2016

Overwatch? Overwatch! Ohhh.

Verwatch.


Before the games started rolling last night, someone on the Penny Arcade Forums posted The Danger Games' Genji guide - citing the sublime pleasures of the narrator's voice alone.  And they were right.  I could listen to this dude for hours.



He also really sold me on Genji, and what a good Genji can do - but I don't play Genji.  When Overwatch launched I checked out almost everyone in the training room, just mucking about, running up walls with him and Hanzo - and I didn't think much of him.  He just didn't click, so I never tried him again.  I don't think I've ever even brought him out in a Quick Play round for shits, and their accompanying giggles.

But that's neither here nor there.  I joined up with the crew I've been running with for the past week, told them about this awesome Genji video I saw, and got down to business.  Mostly Mercy, Zarya and Reinhardt business - though Roadhog worked pretty well for me on Ilios last night too.



0:00 - 0:29 : Nothing is ever cooler on Mercy than doing the two awesome things you can do as Mercy in one quick play - namely resurrecting at least two of your team mates and contributing to an elimination.  I love rezzing while in the middle of a Guardian Angel flight.  Feels super-cool - and it's the only way to do the res (aside from jumping maybe?) that doesn't lock you in place during the animation - which makes you a very easy and appetizing target for, well, everyone.

This PotG came at the end of a Numbani lockdown from the other team.  They held the last point hard, with a stack of Torbs that we just couldn't bust through - but there's only so much you can do with a team of randoms.

0:29 - 0:43 : This double-rez and elimination bought us the extra muscle we needed at just the right time, and we took the point first point - not that it mattered.  Again, this is the Numbani game that we failed hard on at the end - and their Symmetra killed that Hanzo almost immediately after I rezzed him, but that's not the point - double-rez and elimination yayyy.

Almost everything else in the show is, now, about Killing Bastion.


0:43 - 0:54 : Bastion is ridiculously dangerous to approach from the front.  Full stop.  He will shred your shield as Reinhardt in about two seconds, he will cut through everything like buttah - but like every player in the game, he's got a limited field of view - so when his attention is on (I think a Widowmaker?  A Soldier?) on the walkway above me, I take the opportunity to put my hot hot Mercy DPS on him.  Mercy maxes out at 100DPS - approaching half of what most offensive classes can do - but her shots do not have damage reduction over distance.  Always satisfying.

0:54 - 1:06 : So satisfying.  Why didn't that D.Va throw up her defense matrix?  I have no idea, but still.  So satisfying.

1:06 - 1:43 : Now here's where shit gets crazy.


We're movin' with the payload through Volskaya, when a turret has me flanked!  I hop behind the payload for cover, and fortify our Pharah's dps in taking it down... but a Bastion has set up on the left, and I can hear him chewing through my team as I keep in cover.  Two of us go down, and I rez, but someone's got to deal with that Bastion!

I've always wanted to do this.  I was absolutely horrified when he turned around before I'd killed him, and I felt supremely badass when he tumbled to pieces - and the icing on the cake is that I was not immediately killed afterwards, and was able to fly back to our line without incident.

Bastion did not see that coming.  Battle angel, bitches!


But up next is the play that absolutely made my night.

This.  Was.  Insane.


1:43 - 2:32 : This was a brutal match on Volskaya.

It didn't start out brutal!  It started out just fine, and we rolled on point A without issue - but point B was another story.  Point B was locked down in adamantium bars.  Two Bastions, a Mercy healing, a Mei slowing you down so the Bastions could do their dark work, a Tracer for good measure and I don't even know what else.

Point is, these guys were absolutely keeping us the hell off their lawns - and this was a six-man team I was on.  It was me and five other people with headsets (who all enjoy each other's online company), and one person without a headset - but with the ability to listen to our callouts and help.

And we were shut right down.  In desperation, we were trying to figure out what on earth we could switch to in order to kill these Bastions.  I dropped out of Zarya and tried Roadhog - his hook can yank a Bastion out of their turret form for easy killin' with your scrap gun - but their team was so on-the-ball that every time I hooked one, the Bastion went down seconds before they took me out in return.

The clock went down to three minutes.

Had to try something.

Had to try something... insane.

I picked Genji.

And what you see in the video, from 1:43 to 2:32 is what happened the first time I ever played Genji in Overwatch.

There is no proud Genji image, but this one will do in its place.  Again.



2:32 - 2:45 : This is what you get when you're doing a King of the Hill, and you're getting stomped by the other team for the first two rounds, and on the third round one of your group gets kicked by Blizzard's servers - but even with the handicap you turn it around and win the third point in Nepal.  And then one of their team drops and you go on to win the fourth round, so now it's 2-2 and you're going into the tiebreaker round and your team comes together and kicks their asses but because one person on their team left (just like yours!) you only get like 10% of the rank boost you would have if no one had dropped.

Thanks, Blizz!  You kinda' suck!

2:45 - 3:21 : I just think this one was funny.

3:21 - 3:43 : Playyy of the Match!

And now, I think, a Genji comic.  ...if I can find one...

Ah yes.  Genji butts.






Annnd a little E-Mer-Genji ship.




4 comments:

  1. I'm hooked on watching Overwatch clips. Yours make me want to use Mercy more often.

    Here's a few clips of my own. This is from one of my first times as Mei: https://gfycat.com/NeatSadAquaticleech
    Not exactly Mei-like, but it got the job done.

    Next is a fun Genji Ult: https://gfycat.com/WeeklyShabbyCoelacanth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah usin' Mei's alt fire like that is poifect. One day I'll wipe a team with Genji's ult... I really need to put more time into him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get used to him. He's very risk-reward based with a high skill ceiling. Besides Zarya, he's my favorite.
      ...Speaking of Zarya:

      https://gfycat.com/BoringImmaterialCockatoo

      Teamwork!

      Delete