Saturday, August 6, 2016

Let's do some math! 2016 edition.


2016, in gaming, is no slouch.  That's not to say it won't be a slouch - that is to say that thus far, 2016 has offered us Street Fighter V, Steamworld Heist, Invisible, Inc., Risk of Rain, Assault Android Cactus, Dark Souls III, Ratchet & Clank, Enter the Gungeon, Senran Kagura: Estival Versus, Far Cry Primal, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Grand Kingdom, DOOM, Severed, Salt and Sanctuary and Hyper Light Drifter. 

2016 has been kind to the discerning gamer - but it's not done yet.  Winter is coming, and with it, the crushing deluge known as the Fall Rush of Games.

It is around this time that I endeavor to assemble a list of what I'm gonna' have to buy in the next half-year - half to ensure I'm conscious of how much money I'm burning on this egregious habit of mine (and ours), and half to simply have a list handy for when I walk in to EB Games to lay down a bunch of preorders.  I like making lists.  I hate forgetting one and having that hanging over me.  Arrrg I still haven't preordered Gravity Rush 2 what's wrong with meee... That crap drives me crazy.  So let's get this goin' - but this year I'm not gonna' even mention any indies that don't have firm release dates.  I learned my lesson last year.

Vita first.  As it should be.  For a platform that's been "dead" for years, now, there's quite a bit to worry about.



For any "full-release" but digital-only titles, I'm going to assume a price point of $50 Canadian - as those prices have not often been announced.  Bolds are day-one purchases, the rest are... likely.

Aug 30 - Attack on Titan - $50 - digital only

Aug 30 - God Eater 2: Rage Burst - £32.79 = $56.46 CAD - physical, but must import from UK

Sep 16 - Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni - $50 - physical

Sep 27 - Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - $35 - physical

Sep 27 - Darkest Dungeon - $25 - digital-only, workin' on a physical release

Oct 11 - Dragon Quest Builders - $50 - digital-only

Oct 18 - Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky - $45 - physical

Oct 25 - World of Final Fantasy - $50 - physical

Oct 25 - Yomawari: Night Alone - $50 - physical

"2016" - Akiba's Beat - $50 - physical

"2016" - The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - $50 - physical

Day-one total : $361.46
Possible total if I get everything : $511.46

Ahem.  Hm.  Okay.  Moving on...



Aug 12 - No Man's Sky - $80

Sep 13 - BioShock: The Collection - $80 (depending on Digital Foundry's verdict, of course)

Sep 27 - XCOM 2 - $80

Oct 7 - Mafia III - $80

Oct 11 - Rise of the Tomb Raider - $80

Oct 13 - Thumper - $20 - digital-only

Oct 25 - The Last Guardian - $80

Oct 26 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition - $80

Nov 11 - Dishonored 2 - $80

Nov 30 - Gravity Rush 2 - $80

Dec 6 - South Park: The Fractured But Whole - $80


Day-one PS4 total: Just the important ones : $580.00
Possible total of all all PS4 games - $820.00

Just wait.  It gets worse.


Okay.  So.  Things get a little complex here, because tax is only gonna' be paid on the physical games, and, even then, only on the ones I'm not getting from Amazon.  God Eater 2: Rage Burst's price is locked at $56.46 CAD, for example, 'cause that's comin' from Amazon.co.uk.  So let's see heeere... let's just look at the day-one purchases.  Keep it simple(r).  ...of course I won't know what I have to go through Amazon for until after I hit EB on Tuesday to grab No Man's Skyand lay down my seasonal preorders... but estimations are still good so here we go.

Physical: Valkyrie Drive ($50) + Shantae ($35) + Exist Archive ($45) + Yomawari ($50) + Cold Steel II ($50) + No Man's Sky ($80) + XCOM 2 ($80) + Tomb Raider ($80) + Last Guardian ($80) + Dishonored 2 ($80) + Gravity Rush 2 ($80) + South Park ($80) = $790


$790 times 1.13 (tax) = $892.70

Plus digital/Amazon...

Digital/Amazon : Attack on Titan($50) + God Eater 2 ($56.46) + Darkest Dungeon ($25) + Thumper ($20) = $151.46.

For a grand and ridiculous total of

$1,044.16

And that's just the important stuff.  That's without Mafia III or the Skyrim remaster or Dragon Quest Builders.   This, combined with my experience at the public demo I attended a few weeks ago, can mean only one thing: there is no way in fucking hell that I am buying a PSVR.  And really, given that I'll be able to take that $100 and shift it over on to all kinds of preorders means what'll actually be coming out of my pocket over the next five months drops to just nine hundred and forty four dollars.
I wonder if there are support groups for people like me.


[update] Preorders successful!  

Unsurprisingly, EB Games couldn't furnish all my required preorders, so I had to search elsewhere for a few of my Vita games.  

Akiba's Beat - Amazon.ca
Yomawari: Night Alone - the NIS America store
Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni - VideoGamesPlus - which is apparently the exclusive North American carrier of the game.  Hm!  Always wanted to try them out. 

[/update]

No comments:

Post a Comment