Friday, August 19, 2016

Moon Hunters is cancelled for Vita.

Because fuck you, that's why. 


Last we heard from Moon Hunters, they were "going to make a final decision very soon" on the Vita version, which I found deeply offensive.  Yesterday, they turned around and announced that, despite the Vita version stretch goal on their Kickstarter that assisted in raking in cash from Vita fans and pushing their total take up to almost two hundred grand, the game ain't happening on Vita.  Here's their spiel from the update:

PlayStation Vita Cancelled
We have examined every possible variant of the next few months/years of our lives, and we have sadly decided that releasing the game on PSVita is not going to be a good effort after all. :( 
Why? Well, one factor is the engine we're using, but with all of the advantages Unity offers, I'm loathe to seem like I'm complaining about lack of low-level resource control.  And one factor is the platform itself, which is more demanding technically than PS4 or desktop, but I'm loathe to seem like I'm complaining about such a beautiful, well-made piece of hardware.

So, the honest and blunt truth is that the only way we could realistically make it work on Vita is to make the game worse. What this means is that when we looked at how to get it running properly, we had to permanently remove the character portraits, real-time shadows, and loading times were absolutely intolerable. And that was just the beginning -- we still had a long, long way to go. So we felt that, with those sacrifices already made, it was unacceptable to reduce the game's quality further.
The upshot is that two years ago, we were arrogant and naive. 

I personally apologize, as both the promise and the cancellation are my decision (me, Tanya Short), and ask for your forgiveness. I am sorry.

Please do not harass the Moon Hunters programmers, as they have done their best to work with a difficult situation I put them in.

I hope I have learned from this mistake. I really hope so.

What does this mean for Vita backers? If you would like any other key, we will immediately give you one of that platform. If the only key you ever wanted was a PSVita key, we may even be able to find 2 keys for you, to make sure you can play with a friend, which helps take out more of the sting.

Can I get a refund? We deeply appreciate your patience and we know we have broken your trust. If you wish, we will be able to refund the $15 CAD of the game key value itself -- as we delivered on all of the other rewards, we will not refund anything remaining from your pledge. However, the CAD has fallen in worth compared to the USD, so those of you internationally may find that taking the platform key and reselling it (alas) could be more profitable.

Again, I'm sorry. I know it is disappointing, which is the last thing I wanted to do to our backers.
-source-
Translation: "Ummm I guess we didn't really put any thought into whether or not we could put the game on Vita, before we told you that we'd take your money in exchange for the promise to put it on Vita?  LOL our bad!  We're so bad!  And we don't want to just have like, a porting studio handle it because third-party ports are always so shitty and you deserve better!"




The Vita Lounge actually really took Kitfox to task on Twitter over this.  Which I feel is pretty much deserved.

Dinks.  Unlike Red Hook Studios, who are frickin' awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment