Sunday, October 2, 2016

Game Diary - I'm not playing Overwatch.

"They breed quickly down there, in the dark."

Okay, that's not entirely true.  I got two sweet PotGs last night - another nice Zenyatta one for getting two solid elims before popping Transcendence to help take pont A on Hollywood - but at the moment, the only thing that can bring me back to Overwatch is my brother or Alex hitting me up to play some games.  My brother and I tried out this week's brawl, Arcade mode, which doubles everyone's health pools and reduces the cooldown on your cooldowns to like nothin' - which makes everyone impossible to kill.  I was gold on elims at the end of the match with like five. So I got PotG there for a lucky pulse bomb!

And as soon as my brother retired for the evening, it was straight back into Darkest Dungeon.


It's neat returning to the game after such a long hiatus - I actually barely played it after it went full release on PC - and there's all these little changes.  For example, when you break 100 stress, your stress meter continues on to 200, at which point you would have a heart attack and die (pre-release).  In the full release, the heart attack doesn't kill you - it just drops you to zero health, putting you on Death's Door and giving you the opportunity to heal yourself off it.  Nice.

Last night, I discovered the new synergy between the Man-at-Arms and the Highwayman.  The Highwayman has always had a skill called Lunge, which lets him leap forward in the lineup and perform a melee attack with a decent crit chance.  Lunge reaches all the way to the back of the enemy line, so it's a handy skill to have in a frontline attacker, but in the full release, Lunge activates Riposte on your highwayman for two turns - which means the game now has two heroes (along with the Man-at-Arms) who can Riposte - which is huge.

Riposte auto-counters any attack the hero receives, with a nice little damage boost to boot, but without a crit it's rarely enough to eliminate an enemy.  That said, when an enemy does a team-wide low-damage attack (blanket fire, for example), they'll get a smack in the puss for their troubles.  If you have Riposte active on both the Highwayman and the Man-at-Arms, you'll start one-shotting anything that tries to lay down AoE damage on your front line.  Any attack that hits your whole team or the two front line tanks is immediately answered with a wicked retort.

So last night, I put together a team to make the run on the Swine Prince in the Warrens.  Man-at-Arms tanking with a Highwayman just seemed like a solid comp when I assembled the team, but it worked out gorrgeously.



It worked so well that my team was basically at full health with low stress when I was one hall away from the boss's room - so I took the opportunity to clear the hallway before the boss's room, returned to the previous room, took a detour north to clear another fight and comfortably settled down to camp before I made the attempt on the Prince.

I was very confident, walking into that boss fight.  The game will tell you, that's a bad idea. "Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer," the narrator growls.

I told myself to check a Wiki before the fight.  The Swine Prince is a colossal pig demigod standing (not that it's got legs) in front of Wilbur, a tiny pig who calls targets for him.  I remembered it was super-important to kill one before you touch the other, but couldn't... remember... which...

It's probably Wilbur.  I should probably kill Wilbur first.


This perfect team that had rolled this entire dungeon like it was a greased ball bearing was absolutely obliterated.  The Highwayman, the Man-At-Arms and the Arbalest all gone to the wind like so much chaff.  All because I couldn't take five seconds to double-check something I knew cold this time last year.

The Vestal ran.  She gathered the (precious, irreplaceable) trinkets of the dead, and ran back to the hamlet, laughing and wailing.

Man, I can't wait to play some more so... I'm not gonna'.

Wait, I mean.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I touched him pretty hard. The Prince touched back with gusto.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete