Saturday, November 26, 2016

Overwatch Clip Show 27 - Tenderoni.


Sorry this one took so long - I've been saving up footage for like two weeks, it seems, and every now and then I'll go in and go through it and cut it down, but even cutting it all down to cool stuff left me with like eighty minutes of footage.  But this week also earned one of my favorite plays of all time, and only one enemy died in it.

So let me set the scene.

0:00 - 0:16 : We're defending the second point of Hanamura.  I'm the only healer (Mercy) and we only have one tank (D.Va), but we're holding it together.  I'm zippin' back and forth, keepin' my tank up, and I fly towards the bridge to try to rescue one of my friendlies, but they're dead by the time I get there.  I land in front of a McCree who says "it's hiiiiiii-"

I pull my pistol.  D.Va holds her Defense Matrix around me.  Dingdingdingdingding!

"-augh!"

PotG went to an offense getting a triple or something, but whatever - that was one of the Plays of the Year.  Teamwork, yeahhhh!





And the rest is all Tracer action.  Naturally.


0:16 - 0:56 : Approaching the second checkpoint on Dorado, Tracer is behind enemy lines, running interference and keeping the reds busy while my team moves the payload.  To begin, a Hanzo is just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and doesn't hear Tracer's sneakers thumping along behind him - easy pickins at this range.

Dropping into the enemy line, McCree's already halfway gone - and easy pickins as well - leaving the Zarya alone to challenge my team while I turn around to deal with Zarya's last friend, Zenyatta.

Tracer Vs. Zenyatta is meant to be one-sided in Tracer's favor, but I've found a good Zenyatta can put me in the ground far faster than I can them.  I pick my shots, grab cover for a moment and use my blinks to make sure he can't get a bead on me.

I screw it up with the Genji - should've gone straight for the health pack to deny it to him - but as soon as Winston lands, I know my work here is done, and leave him to his fate.  By then, Mercy and Rein are ridin' up with the payload, and Mercy tops me off while I help Rein take down McCree.

That's some solid Tracer work.


0:56 - 1:03 : The cooldown on Lucio's boop is about five or six seconds - he pretty much has it up all the time, and when you know a Lucio is waiting to boop you off the edge of Lijiang, sometimes you just gotta' let him do it - so you can rewind out of the abyss and drop a pulse bomb on him with impunity.

Wrong place wrong time, Hanzo!

1:03 - 1:17 : Our Hanzo lets off a great Dragon, and blows the reds' support - Ana and Lucio - out of the water as their Hog pops his ult in a last-ditch attempt to keep us off the point.  A well-placed Pulse Bomb addresses that threat, and then it's just cleaning up the Genji.

1:17 - 1:38 : This D.Va probably could have scared me off if she'd, y'know, shot at me while I was tearing her mech apart.  Finishing her off with the melee felt good, I'll admit.

1:38 - 1:52 : Smacking a Rein around never gets old.

1:52 - 1:57 : Ahhh.  Landing hits in midair, flying over your target, feelsgoodman.gif.  Dropping a pulse bomb on him before you hit the ground?  Feelsbetter.gif.


1:57 - 2:06 : Some nice Tracer teamwork on Lijiang, adding my (substantial) DPS to my team's push.  First on the chopping block is Zenyatta, who hasn't noticed my flank and goes down easily.  D.Va has already been brought low by the team, and requires a little scratch to finish off.  And shooting a Genji out of the air while he's being electrocuted by my Winston felt very special.

2:06 - 2:12 : This was a beautiful whole match on Gibraltar, mostly on the back of a Mercy who really knew what she was doing.  She was getting multi-rezzes left and right, and whenever I would push ahead to run intereference and shrink back into our line, she was right there with a heal to get me back to work.  It was lovely.

Anyway, this ended up getting Play of the Game.  A very, very lucky Play of the Game.

2:12 - 2:18 : Never gets old.

2:18 - 2:24 : Never gets old.


2:24 - 2:46 : I add my DPS to my team as the reds essentially ignore me (always helps!), and contest point B on Hanamura.  Dropping a Pulse Bomb as soon as their Lucio Drops the Beat is... idiotic, but - weirdly enough - it did one-shot D.Va's mech - and the rest of the reds are so squishy, we push them back with little trouble.  D.Va and Genji try to bail off the point under the bridge, but our McCree shoots the weakened D.Va out of the air as she falls, and I'm quick enough to get right into Genji's Face as he runs for the health pack - and he's alll out of cooldowns.  Can't deflect me.  Can't Swift Strike through me.

2:46 - 3:04 : I really could have done a more elegant job in taking out Bastion, but Rein's Earthshatter gives me all the time I need to top off my ult and drop the bomb on him.

I made this Mercy's life a living hell for this entire match (see the 12 Bit Blues extended clip show for more of that), and I was frankly amazed that I was able to take the Roadhog out before their Sombra dropped me.  Once a Tracer gets hacked by Sombra, that's it, you're done.

You might be able to slip behind some nearby cover, but if she's hacked you, she knows where you are and she's comin' for you.  Taking the Hog out first was definitely a small victory.

3:04 - 3:15 : Two quick picks give my team the opening they need to push on Hanamura A.  I fucking hate enemy Anas.  Unless I'm playing Winston.


3:15 - 3:35 : This easily could have gone in the other direction, if the reds had capitalized on their Sombra's excellent ult.  She hit nearly all of us with her EMP, meaning all of us were (aside from primary fire) defenseless against them - but it ended up working out very well.  Sombra completely ignores me, spraying our D.Va with her submachinegun while D.Va simply shoots back and I swing in for the killing blow.

By the time the reds have moved forward to take advantage of the EMP, we're focusing fire through the door to the point, threatening them and pushing them back.  The EMP's hack duration runs out, and we all move forward, shredding D.Va's mech - I drop the pulse bomb on it as it starts to blow because, if timed well, you can one-shot the D.Va as she pops out - and end up scoring D.Va and Lucio in the bargain.

Roadhog flees the point, but you can't outrun a Tracer.

3:35 - 3:44 : This was the push that won the game on Hanamura B, and it was particularly edifying.  One of the reds had switched to Bastion after we took point A, and - as a highly-mobile smartbomb-droppin' DPSer - I reckon it's my job to deal with him.  He's a mean-ass Bastion to begin with - able to land pretty sick headshots on me in Recon mode - but he's also an asshole.

Every time we engage, it's always me against him and one or two of his team members - not great odds - and while I take him out once or twice, they take me out at least three times for my trouble.  And after each and every time, he teabags me.

I fucking hate it when people teabag.  I don't know why I find teabagging so hateful and disrespectful, but emoting, saying "hi" or dropping your spray is just fun and games - but I fucking hate it.

Anyway, the point of this story is this Bastion was a fucking dick, and when Play of the Game went to the Tracer he'd been teabagging all match - oneshotting two of his allies (including his Genji, who had just pulled his sword), shearing off most of his HP while he's in Tank form, making him easy pickings for our McCree and finishing off the last enemy on the point - he quit from the lobby before the match round cards came up.


3:44 - 4:00 : I was really proud of this one.  Rewind is best used to recover health.  Yes, Tracer's the fastest hero in the game, and Blink permits me to run for health packs faster than anyone else, but it's really Rewind that keeps you alive in the thick of things.  That being said, it has another use - you can rewind to achieve what would otherwise be impossible movement.  I bail off the side of the walkway, Reinhardt turns away - this Tracer is no longer his problem... until she appears behind him again and cuts him down.  And oh shits Sombra is backin' up right into the killzone, and then it's just me an' Mercy.

4:00 - 4:09 : I loathe enemy Sombras, but - as Tracer - I quite like them on my team.  If you're behind enemy lines and there's a Sombra with you, you can do mad work by essentially "tanking" for the Sombra - distracting an enemy to aim at you while Sombra appears behind them to tear in with her SMG.  Likewise, an enemy Rein who's been hacked by Sombra is too alluring to ignore - and sticking a Pulse Bomb to him, right when his Mercy shows up to save the day to get a two-for-one felt pretty sweet.


4:09 - 4:17 : This Roadhog had been murdering us on Hollywood, just by sticking on top of that building.  He was hitting us with his (long-range) alt-fire when his hook was on cooldown, but otherwise he was just nailing his hooks, dragging my peeps up to that rooftop to eat a scrap blast to the face.

I'd had enough of that.

4:17 - 4:47 : To close out, just a lovely, consistent team-push on King's Row.  Again, you'll get some of your best work in just by not flanking behind enemy lines and sticking with your tanks, complimenting their DPS.  A move I've become quite fond of, lately, is doing just that and waiting until I see an enemy health bar a little too low.  Then - because I haven't been zipping around like mad - I burn two blinks to zip back there as the wounded foe runs for cover to finish them off.  If it's dicey after the kill, I can always rewind back behind my line. Bye, Soldier!

Taking down a Roadhog is a helluva lot easier with a D.Va running interference for you, and look, Soldier got rezzed!  Run, Soldier, run!  (Because you can totally outrun Tracer!)

And that's our show!  Special shoutout to Endless for showing me the exact position and aim you need to get the ball in the basket!










Oh, and here's all the decent footage that I cut from the show this week!  Half the reason I make Clip Shows is because I love watching them at work, when I have a task that requires me to just kinda' sit and not look at my monitor for a half hour.  Nine minutes of decent footage set to some of my favorite tracks from Kid Koala's 12 Bit Blues will be a nice addition.






No comments:

Post a Comment