Wednesday, February 8, 2017

I don't know why I resisted

Probably because I was kinda' meh on the first demo last year.  But the concept alone is like catnip, to me.

Things Chance Loves: 
  • Cats
  • Puns
  • Samurai
  • Pizza
  • Souls games
  • Samurai Pizza Cats
  • The classic James Clavell novel Shogun from 1975, which dramatizes the life of actual person William Adams.  
When I first read Shogun it was like "okay, this is seriously some white dude's Japanese fantasy."  'Cause it's about this dude who washes up in Japan, happens to fall into the service of the feudal lord who will go on to become Shogun and rule Japan, leaves his life in England and becomes the first foreigner ever to be made Samurai and it's like come on, man.  That's a bit much.  Like it's fine to have a foreigner as a main character - it gives you an excuse to explain Japanese customs and culture to him! - but heaping all this frankly unbelievable luck and honors on him?

Yeah, reign it in, man.

But no.  William Adams was a real dude, and that's exactly what happened to him.

What was I talking about?  Oh right - Nioh.



So it's getting hella good reviews, and I keep seeing them and just seeing like screenshots of William standing in front of a cute little kodamas and it's like... okay.

Okay, we'll give this a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment