Sunday, March 26, 2017

Game Diary - not Horizon. Mostly.


Long time coming, I suppose.  I'm at the last few story missions on my second, hard mode playthrough of Horizon, and still lovin' it - but I'd promised my brother I'd play Overwatch with him this weekend.  I was... intimidated.  Worried.

It's been weeks since I played.  In fact, I can tell you almost precisely - when was the Believer clip show..?  Holy shit, February 5th.  So I pretty much haven't played Overwatch in two months.  And I didn't want to roll in with my brother and just be like some kinda' dead weight, so on Friday night I tried out a few rounds of quick play.

I went one win, two losses on Friday night.  Went back to Horizon pretty quick.  My reflexes, my gamesense just weren't where they needed to be.  My reaction time was just shot.  I couldn't get picks on Tracer, couldn't win duels, couldn't survive on Mercy...


I gave it another try yesterday afternoon - maybe with a bit of practice I'd get back into fighting form before my brother came on that night - and I just got my ass kicked.  I could never do better than bronze or silver on elims and damage, and my K/D ratio was in the toilet.  It was very disheartening, but it ended in a pair of rounds on Gibraltar where my Tracer was utterly dominated by the enemy team's Tracer, who was always just there once I'd burned a couple cooldowns to capitalize - chasing me down where no other hero coulda' followed in time.  It was a brutal reminder of how good my Tracer game wasn't.  The Tracer switched to Hanzo in the next round, and continued to carry their team - but I pulled a Shop Around on him and specifically targeted him for the rest of the match, keeping his attention on me, winning some duels, losing more, but more importantly buying some breathing room for my team to actually fight with his instead of just getting torn apart by him.  It ended with sticking a pulse bomb to him, which felt very good - but getting into a little tête-à-tête with another, much-better player, I think, was exactly what I needed.

Somehow - miraculously - when Chris came on last night, it wasn't like it clicked back in - it's like it had never left.

(I main Tracer, Chris mains D.Va.
When he's not on Soldier or Sombra, and I'm not on Mercy.)

It's not like Chris and I have any sort of synergy when we play.  It's not like I can count on him to throw defense matrix around me in a clutch moment, and he can't depend on me to finish off the targets he's pressuring - but I was back.  We were both on fire for half our games - the rest of our teams doin' God-knows-what, and we were just rockin' it.  I'm gettin' quad gold medals, PotGs left and right - carrying teams - and there's something fuckin' magical about kickin' ass on Tracer.

When I get in the zone, it always seems to be off the fuel of adrenaline.  My heart thrashes, my gamesense kicks into overdrive and my reaction time is something that... I can't replicate, elsewhere.  When Italians talk about the inexpressible joy of just being alive, they're talking about what I feel when I get on a roll with Tracer.

So today, I pulled out the Overwatch disc and put Horizon in, and kept playin' the campaign.  I stalked and killed a couple Corruptors, killed a Deathbringer and its accouterments, killed a corrupted Thunderjaw and...

...pulled out the disc.  Put Overwatch back in.  Played 'till I got quad golds.  Played 'till I got PotG.

S'good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment