Friday, April 14, 2017

Game Diary.

I don't play Overwatch during the week.


I should - just to keep myself in the zone. Matches are generally better during the week, and weekends see an influx of more casual players (like me!) who (unlike me!) don't understand the whole get-on-the-payload or group-up thing.   But last night, when I was actually planning on snuggling up into Persona 5, I ended up watching an old Overwatch clip show and was like "goddamn this game is fun" and I couldn't help it.

Ended up rolling quick play for the rest of the night.  I still haven't touched competitive this season, and... let's look at how we did:


Not bad!  Solid Tracer, solid Zarya, solid Soldier (oh my!) and what the heck two wins with Orisa.  The night culminated with two king of the hill matches against a six-stack, whose centerpiece was an unbelievable Hanzo.  Whatever work my team got in to on the point was beautifully, casually torn apart by this guy just plink plink plinking away at us.

After doing well with Tracer on the first round of Oasis, he was shutting me down too hard on round 2.  I switched to Winston, but his D.Va and Zarya tore me apart before I could get close.  I switched to Soldier and we pushed them off the point, but they regrouped and routed us, and took the next round too.  It was a helluva fight, so I didn't feel that bad about the loss - plus, what're you supposed to do against a six-stack?  It's like a single awful organism with six tendrils all trying to kill you at once.

The next match was on Lijiang Tower.  Against the same goddamned six-stack, and their SuperHanzo.


We get a Lucio.  I lock Tracer.  Someone else instalocks Winston, and when we spawn in the room I look him up and down.  He's got a golden gun on that monkey, and I grin.

We're gonna' win.  I stick to that Winston like glue, supplementing his soft general damage with my spiky bursts.  We stick together, and the reds pay me the ultimate compliment.  One of them switches to Junkrat to fuck up my shit while Hanzo cleans house, but I've killed Junkrats before - and Junkrats who aren't Junkrat mains hold no terror for me.

The Hanzo remained incredible, excellent, all the way to the end - but we kept sweeping his team so hard that I repeatedly had the chance to get right in his face, force his attention on me and now, having learned a healthy respect for his capacity to put a broadhead between my eyes, we danced hard.  A squad of randoms kicking the ass of a six-stack - that's not somethin' you see every day.

I send him a PSN message.  Tell him he's an awesome Hanzo, and put in a sticker of Ellie from The Last of Us giving a thumbs up.

I really should send a thumbs up to that Winston.


We're enjoying a long weekend, at the moment - something about a zombie situation back in like the New Testament or somethin' - so I would anticipate a similar influx of "off" players today, but this afternoon I sat down to finally try Competitive Season 4.

The first match was on Lijiang.  I can roll a decent Zarya on Lijiang, but I've rarely had much success with healers on that map.  If I really wanna' bring my A game, I gotta' go Tracer.

Which is always scary, in comp.  If you're not rollin' at your absolute best, it's a wash - and even then, the other team may just be better than you.

There's a lotta' reasons why I haven't played comp so far this season.  The same self-image thing that warned me off Season 3 for over a month is still in play, but when the season began it was the Bastion Ironclad buff that kept me away.  I just seriously didn't want to fuck with a Bastion who was rockin' a 35% damage reduction in competitive mode.  Then the Support SR bug kept me away.  It's still a problem and I'm still terrified of the impact it may have on my game.  Then, the influx of players from the Uprising event worried me... but goddamnit it, it's time to get back on the horse.

I locked Tracer, and we swept that shit.


The second match was Volskaya - I'll only have Tracer success there with a solid team backing me, usually - so I healed on attack and defense, and we swept it.

Match three was my beloved Tracer playground of Hanamura, but three of my team had already instalocked DPS, so I went Zen on attack to supplement our Lucio, and we took both points.  On defense, I instalocked Symmetra, hoping someone else would get the idea that we needed a healer.

Turns out, we didn't need one.  They never got the first point.  I actually solo'd their attack Bastion twice on Symmetra.  Felt awesome.

The next match is Numbani - another favorite Tracer hangout - but we're on defense for the first round and, like Volskaya, I don't like to bet everything on my Tracer game when I don't know what my team's comp will be.  I instalock Sym.

The next instalock is Torb.  I smile.

The next is Mercy.  I grin.

We're gonna' win.


Torb's turret will make the game of any attacking Genji, Pharah, Tracer or otherwise squishy enemy a very hard one.  My turrets will do the same, and my teleporter will take some of our group's sustain off the Mercy, so she can keep her rez for PotG moments.  We had a real good Soldier, but I don't remember what we had tanking 'cause I spent almost all of the match harassing the enemy Tracer and - once my ult was up - maintaining a microwave hallway with a teleporter in the middle.

As a Tracer main, I know how easy or hard a Sym can make it for me to kill that teleporter.  If a Tracer wants to blink in, drop her pulse bomb on it and rewind out, there is literally nothing you can do about it unless you get real lucky and get the drop on her - which you're not gonna' get, given Sym's nonexistent mobility.

But the teleporter placed midway down a long hallway with just the two entrances - dotted up and down in both directions with my little turrets - will ensure that using her ult is literally the only way she can do it.  And she wouldn't use her ult.  Every time she tested my defenses I would sweep around the corner with an orb and an auto-locking beam, either killing her or sending her running for a health pack.

They never took point A, but attack... was a different story.

Between our defense round and attack, one of our team dropped out of the game.  We were going to have to attack 5 vs 6.  A countdown timer begins.  In two minutes, my team will be able to leave the match without incurring a loss to their SR points.


I would've instalocked Tracer, but our very-good Soldier took her first.  I went Mercy.  I should've pocketed her closer, but they took out the Torb turret that wrecked me when I first made it onto the point, and I got back from respawn just in time to help them clean the last of the defenders off the payload.

It was a close one.  But man.  I've gone four and O on comp season 4 so far.

I didn't wanna' push my luck, so I shut 'er down  Watched some movies, ate some lovely food.  And it's Friday.  My brother'll be on tonight.  And when I lose with him on my team, I never feel that bad about it.


...but the fact that three out of four of those wins were on Mercy or at least a support...

Blizzard, fix that fucking bug.

Now, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment