Sunday, June 30, 2013

Music! Old-timey edition.


Dig the new header?  How could I not love Muramasa?  Put a katana in a game, and it just jumped two points in my book.  Set the entire thing in Edo-period Japan, and I'm in love.

Except for Way of the Samurai 3.  The game's wonky feel was fine on PS2, but that... that one needed some smoothing out.



I kinda' fell in love with Bukka White's Shake 'Em On Down - the most interesting thing to come out of a brief investigation into ZRun, so I promptly took to searchin' for his other stuff.  I wish I could find you the a streaming copy of the studio version of Aberdeen Mississippi Blues (there are some versions out there, but they're all live - nice, but live), so Parchman Farm will have to do for now.

What else..?  Ooh!  Y'ever see that old Susan Sarandon, Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins baseball movie called Bull Durham?  Back when my family purchased movies whose quality was deemed "buyable," we had a small library of VHS tapes - and I musta' watched Bull Durham about thirty times.  Every now and then, ever since, I've tried to track down a certain song - and finally, now, in this glorious information age, here it is:



When I first heard it, I had no idea what the guy was singing about.  It's as dirty as Butcher Pete, and I love it.  Oh, speaking of Butcher Pete - which is awesome, listen to it if you haven't heard it - here's another great track from the same swingin' cat, Roy Brown.



Hm.  Trackin' down this next one makes me realize I really should pick up Mafia II the next time I see it in a twenty dollar bin.



The first time I heard this, I was sure it was The Johnston Brothers - but no!  Totally different guys - same smokey vibe.



Annnd that'll do for now.  G'night folks!

4 comments:

  1. The soundtrack for Mafia II was almost criminally good! So many good songs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Criminally good? I see what you did there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new header is fantastic, by the way.

    ReplyDelete