Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Game Diary - Dragon's Crown.


Yes, Dragon's Crown is (more than) a bit one-sided in its representation of the fairer sex.  My intention is to do an examination of "its more pernicious aspects" prior to a review, so the review can instead focus on the game itself with a mention of the presentation's impact on one's enjoyment and a link to the more in-dept discussion.  That said...

Oh my God I love this game.

I loved games like this back in the day that were nowhere near as good as this.  I loved Golden Axe, but when you ask folks if they played it, they just give you a blank stare - so I have to explain it by talking about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle II for NES, or The Simpsons Arcade game and build from there, explaining different character classes and RPG mechanics - but nobody gets it.  It's impossible to find someone in my orbit in the Real World who understands why this game is so damned special.

If you're reading this blog, though, you probably don't have that handicap.  If you enjoyed Golden Axe or Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom or The King of Dragons, you will absolutely love Dragon's Crown.


I checked out the Elf for a bit today, but I'm still very much in love with my Amazon, who spins across the battlefield like a spastic pinwheel and hits like a Mack truck with a man-sized axe on one end.

It's never less than glorious when an enemy mage teleports to the other side of the screen, out of reach of my party, and I shudder through the air to crash into the little bastard blade-first, one-shotting him with a single mighty blow of my weapon.  Wham!!! (Coins go flying everywhere.)

Everyone's got their strengths - but no one hits as hard as my Amazon.

The game has infected me.  I just want to keep playing it and playing it.  When I'm at work, I'm always kinda' sad that I'm not, currently, playing it.

I was explaining it to a colleague at the office today - "y'know what it's like when there's like, a book you can't wait to get home to read or a TV show you can't wait to watch? It's what's always on your mind?  Like when you have a crush on something?"

"Yeah."

"That's how I am with this game, right now."

"Wow, you're like a total nerd."

"Yes I am."

2 comments: