What is Mighty No. 9?
It's Mega Man. With more mechanics.
This is certainly much more promising than anything Capcom's done with Mega Man in the past ten years (no, I wasn't a big fan of 9 and 10), and Inafune's certainly the man to do it. It's just that Mighty No. 9 is so obviously a Mega Man rip that it's a bit off-putting in its blatancy.
That said, this still looks super cool:
|It's just concept art. But you know you'd play the crap out of a Mega Man-like game that looked like this.|
Or at least I would.
The game is (currently) only thirty grand short of its $900,000 basic goal, and it'll need to get to $2.5 million for console ports. The Kickerstarter page is one of the longest I've ever seen, but here are the important bits.
What/Who is Mighty No. 9?
• Mighty No. 9 is an all-new Japanese side-scrolling action game that takes the best aspects of the 8- and 16-bit era classics you know and love, and transforms them with modern tech, fresh mechanics, and fan input into something fresh and amazing!
• You play as Beck, the 9th in a line of powerful robots, and the only one not infected by a mysterious computer virus that has caused mechanized creatures the world over to go berserk. Run, jump, blast, and transform your way through six stages (or more, via stretch goals) you can tackle in any order you choose, using weapons and abilities stolen from your enemies to take down your fellow Mighty Number robots and confront the final evil that threatens the planet!
• Every aspect of development — art, level design, music, programming, etc. — is being handled by veteran Japanese game creators with extensive experience in the genre, and with Mega Man in particular, all the way up to and including the project’s leader, Keiji Inafune himself! Backers will have unprecedented access to seeing this team at work through blogs, podcasts, videos, concept art—the works!
• Mighty No. 9 is being developed for the PC with gamepad support (of course!), and will be made available through Steam and DRM-free digital distribution methods. Other platforms, including home consoles, Mac, and Linux, are a high priority, but only if we can afford them via stretch goals. Should we reach those goals, anyone funding the project will be allowed to choose which version of the game they would like to receive. The estimated release date is spring 2015.
• This project is on Kickstarter so it can involve YOU, the fans! Not only will this make it possible, through crowdfunding, for us to make the game exactly as we envision it, but it also allows us to bring dedicated fans of this genre together to assist the team in shaping aspects of the game’s design. We need your help! Let’s make something amazing, and let’s do it together!
Classic 2D Action, Transformed!
So what makes Mighty No. 9—the character as well as the game—different? Simply put: the ability to transform! Of course our hero, Beck, earns new weapons as he defeats each of his fellow Mighty Number boss robots, but more than that, his body itself can also reconfigure into new shapes, allowing for all kinds of new skills and abilities!
For example, his limbs might become giant magnets, enabling him to walk up walls or rip away enemy shields... Or maybe extendible spring-loaded hands would allow him to activate far-away switches or work as a grappling hook... Or he could have a tank-like body, easily crossing over spikes and pushing objects around the levels... These are just a few possibilities we’re considering, but you get the idea!
And it’s not only killing bosses that gets Beck new powers. Taking out other enemies with a certain weapon, or hitting them in their weak spot, can expose one of three types of “xel” energy Beck can sap, store, and unleash later via his own Mighty Skills! Give yourself a double-jump and speed boost for a limited time, unleash a concentrated flurry of powerful punches directly ahead, or set off a blast that hurts everything on the screen! Whatever final form it takes, this system will add depth and strategy to the action, as you choose how to approach and defeat even normal bad guys to best fuel your special powers.
Here's hopin' it hits 2.5 mil. It probably will. Inafune's making an HD Mega Man clone. Everyone can enjoy that.