Sunday, December 1, 2013

Super-excited about VGX.


Nominated for Game of the Year 2013 for Spike's yearly almost-respectable games awards are BioShock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto V, Super Mario 3D World, The Last of Us (which should win) and Tomb Raider, which I'm glad to see in the field as it really is one of the best games of 2013.  My list would drop Mario - as I haven't really enjoyed a Mario title since the SNES - and BioShock, as, despite its high-mindedness, it never achieved the sublime depths of immersion and insight of its predecessor.

My list would add Dragon's Crown, of course, along with Guacamelee, Muramasa Rebirth and... DmC: Devil May Cry.  I think.  Ask me again in a few weeks as I'm mulling over my own GotY jazz.

I find myself very hyped for this year's VGX.  The show will, no doubt, still be a trial to sit through.  I doubt it will really evolve to a point that, while watching it, we get a genuine sense of respect for and celebration of game designers and contributors, but that's fine.  Nobody actually watches this video game awards show for the awards - it's all about the trailers!  Uncharted 2's first stunningly gorgeous trailer debuted at Spike's VGAs, and so did The Last of Us, come to think of it.

That's what we want from VGX.  We want gorgeous trailers of highly-anticipated games and stunning announcements.  I'm so hyped at the idea of Tomb Raider on PS4, I changed my header today to celebrate Lara Croft's triumphant return to gaming.

I'm crossing my fingers that we'll get a proper, beautiful trailer for Uncharted 4, a lock-down of what Team Gravity over at SCE Studio Japan are up to, maybe a new Siren announcement and a sexy-lookin' inFamous: Second Son trailer.

Oooh, or gameplay of The Order : 1886.  That'd be sexy.

Spike's Video Game Awards : A mini-E3 for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment