Sunday, January 5, 2014

Anime day.


Feelin' pretty crappy today.  Not physically - physically, I'm well over the crap I was dealing with last week - but I'm just feeling very meh and got about halfway through the next Best Presentation post before admitting I don't really give a shit.

So I finally got myself down to Wal-Mart for a little shopping therapy - a trip I've been wanting to take since Boxing Day - but at this late date, the pickings were very slim indeed.  I did find the 25th Anniversary Edition of Akira for twenty bucks on bluray - a decent price - so it wasn't a wasted effort.

I've watched more anime in the past month than I have in the past year.  Kill la Kill, as you've no doubt heard, is a fun show, and worth watching.


Folks have (rather successfully, I should note) pointed out that Kill la Kill works as a metaphor for puberty as it skewers Magical Girl tropes left and right, while still being a Magical Girl show.  It may well be those things, but for my money it's just straight up funny, entertaining stuff, with fight scenes that blow the lid off your ordinarily-explosive anime combat with its absolutely ridiculous action, including, for example, swords that strike each other so hard they create a shockwave that creates a vacuum, which creates a massive implosion, which in turn creates a second explosion.

Also, it has cleavage.  You can watch episodes 1-11 (of a current 12) for free on Crunchyroll at the moment, and I'd suggest checking out the first episode to observe its heroine get jumped by a sentient sailor suit that morphs in to fetish gear that gives her superpowers, before deciding whether or not it's your cup of tea.


Today, after abandoning that post, I decided to maybe catch up on Attack on Titan.  When Attack on Titan (finally) gets to its action, it's spectacular stuff, and I actually found myself laughing out loud with glee when Captain Levi finally let himself off the chain and pulled some awesome crap in episode 22.

The show has an unfortunate tendency to have nothing happen for like three episodes in a row, but its weird aesthetic, genuinely mysterious premise, well-developed world and perhaps most of all incredible action go a long, long way to redeeming it, and have kinda' made it the most important anime of 2013.

Also definitely worth watchin', if you're of a mind.  And now I'm going to bed because meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment