Saturday, January 4, 2014

I can't stop loving you.

Kwa-ping!

The Vita in general, and Dragon's Crown in particular.  Its play time is approaching one hundred and seventy hours.  


Which is ridiculous.

I've said several times that 2013 is the year I well and truly fell in love with my Vita.  Muramasa, Hotline Miami, Killzone Mercenary, Tearaway, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush...


Can't forget Gravity Rush.  There are a ton of reasons to love the Vita, but with its most recent patch, Dragon's Crown has gone from The Game I Spent The Most Time With in 2013 to The Game I Spent The Most Time With Since World of Warcraft.  Or, if we want to get even bigger-sounding with it, The Console Game I've Spent The Most Time With, Period.

Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim?  Pschaw.  Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas? Nope.

The last console game I became this obsessed with was back on the Super Nintendo - Mario World or Link to the Past - games I played over and over and over, sitting cross-legged on the living room floor until my legs went numb, because I loved them so much, or perhaps because I was like fourteen and we couldn't afford to buy new games.

I'm a long, long way from my Super Nintendo, and Dragon's Crown has somehow re-inspired that level of enjoyment and interest in me.  The latest patch just keeps on giving me awesome stuff - or, stuff that's awesome by Dragon's Crown's loot-by-way-of-Diablo standard.


I've still yet to find an amulet I'm willing to replace the Gladiator's Force Amulet with, but that doesn't matter.  I may sift through thirty S-rank treasures and only find three that might end up getting equipped, but that doesn't matter either - what matters most is Dragon's Crown keeps throwing shit I've never seen at me.

Last night, as a few AI companions and I cut our way through the Tower of Mirages, a black bat the size of a half-ton truck descended upon us.  Don't worry, I was able to snap a screenshot as it killed them.


In the Tower of Mirages, you'll occasionally come across super-powered "regular" enemies like this - randomly-appearing black zombies, black knights - even gigantic ghosts,


and they're treated as mini-bosses.  Some of the best gear I've found are S-rank treasured dropped by these random ultra-enemies, and it's always a terrifying treat when one shows up.


The demon king, who guards the upper levels of the tower with his ridiculously hard fight is my only bone of contention.  The fight is way, way too hard for a single human and A.I. companions - but I lack the balls to hop in to multiplayer in the hopes of finding a few human allies to take him down with, and end up pouring a few million gold into resurrections for my party during the fight to get past him.  I've had to deal with him twice so far (up to level 26 in the Tower), and my bank account has gone from 8 million to 4.5 in the process.

So yeah.  The demon king can suck it.  The rest?  Having a level 255 Killer Rabbit wipe my party before I wipe the floor with him?


Priceless.

In the lead-up to Dragon's Crown, I had a lot of faith in the title, largely based on how much I've enjoyed Vanillaware's past efforts, but I never imagined I would end up investing so much time in it, and feel so rewarded for playing content that's essentially the same content I've already played a hundred times, re-mixed.

Annnd let's have one more lovely screenshot.  The rays of the setting sun, flooding through a sewer dungeon's window and across the corpse of a recently-dispatched Minotaur.


Dragon's Crown - where even the sewers are gorgeous.

1 comment:

  1. No shame in over a hundred hours. You should see my clock on borderlands 2... New Vegas almost twice that.THOSE numbers forced my hand on some productive life choices, and the only reason I don't have a vita is part of those choices. Because honestly, you sold me on it months ago.

    So don't pump the breaks until you it 300!

    ReplyDelete