Friday, April 4, 2014

The Buddhist chant.

This is my in-case-I-don't-get-the-Dark-Souls-II-review-written-today post.  Or... when.

Over a decade ago - when I was a much handsomer and cooler fellow, I assure you - I found this track on the barren wastes of what was then understood to be the Internet.  It was this, in MP3 format, and this alone.  The title of the file was a foreign language I didn't understand - I don't even recall why I downloaded it, at this point - but I did, and listened to it, and loved it.

It's what I'd listen to on my breaks at work, just to chill.  Just to let my mind drift.  When I got stressed out, I'd just put on headphones, crank this up and close my eyes and everything was okay.  It... resonated.

That was a long time ago, and eventually, when my computer crapped out and the MP3 player I had (this was before iPods happened, remember) died, the chant went with them.

I knew I'd never find it again.  It was one of the weirdest things I'd ever found online, and I didn't even know its name.  Last night, after a decade of searching "buddhist," "tibetan," "chant," and multiple variations thereof, I tried "mantra," and found the chant.  I was beside myself with joy.  In the past, whenever I tried to find it, I'd only ever come up with a bunch of synth-heavy new-age "meditation" crap.

Sometimes, way back when, I'd break it out at parties, and I discovered there are two kinds of people in the world.  One kind will almost violently tear the headphones off when it begins.  The other... will find themselves instantly comforted - I remember watching as one girl's shoulders went from tense and tight to loose and relaxed as soon as the song came on - and whispering something like "beautiful."

So, what kind are you?



If you, like me, find this beautiful, I'd like to give you the knowledge I never had, all those years ago when I tripped across it - and, sadly, lost it for so long.

This is Mantra of Mahakala by Lama Karta.  You're welcome.  Now that we're all cool and mellow, let's enjoy this image of a baby snuggling with three puppies.

1 comment:

  1. As soon as the video started playing, it was like hitting an instant-relaxation button. I really enjoyed that, it sort of melted away all other feelings.

    ReplyDelete