Saturday, May 10, 2014

Personal note - life is good. Also, racist.


Kayla and I have determined that drinks and Hannibal will now be a weekly occurrence, and last night we crashed out knowing we'd need to be up bright and early today to get a call from our Delivery Men.  I'd purchased a bed, you see, for a thousand of my dollars, and this morning before they arrived I ran around clearing things out of the way, cleaning that forbidden zone beneath and dismantling my old (beaten, abused and dead) bed and dragging its corpse downstairs to be hauled away.

We'd selected what's called The Granite Bed, having been shown around a showroom in a store that only sells beds by a very nice father-to-be named Brandyn.  When we returned a few days later to lay a deposit on the bed and arrange a delivery date, Brandyn was gone, and in his place was a pleasant white-haired older gentleman.  We showed him the deal Brandyn had written up for us, and he asked to see the bed we wanted.  We showed him.

"What are you, Chinese?" he asked.  (Kayla's family is a bit of everything, but Scottish on her father's side, mine is similarly a bit of everything, but Jewish Ukrainian on my father's side - we're both... well, we're a tangy blend of heritages, and we look like a pair of blue-eyed white people.)

"Might be!" Kayla said.

"This is the hardest bed in the store," Old Racist Sales Guy told us, "it's the only thing Asians will sleep on. It's our number one seller in Vancouver!"  (Vancouver, Canada, in BC, has a very large Chinese population.)

"Well, I did sleep on a futon for a long time," I offered.

Whatever, we moved on.  Later, sipping on Tim Horton's iced capps as we drove home...

"So he was a nice guy."

"Yeah."

"The whole Asians thing was weird, though."

"Yeah."

"Not sure we needed that."

Racist bed salesmen - they're out there!  Even in Canada.

Today, the bed arrived.  It is gigantic - a bed that would please Burt Wonderstone - and required the bedroom TV to be raised by about a foot.


I bought the bed, and Kayla bought a set of bamboo sheets which are... pretty frickin' awesome, so far.  Soft and luxurious and, I'm told, terribly comfortable in the summer - precisely what we need for the oppressively hot season to come.

After the bed was made and I'd put all the furniture back where it belonged, we took off for a little adventure to a small town outside of our large city.  We bought some new pillows and some new pillowcases, purchased some ice capps (it's an addiction), and drove north on our city's Main St. until it became a highway, weaving up through rural Canada to this lovely small town.

When I was a kid and my parents would drive us around in the country and remark about how beautiful the scenery was, I wanted to smack 'em in the back of the head.  I am entirely certain that I'm old, now, because I now find myself remarking at how gorgeous everything looks - even the sky - outside the city.

We came to a small town, but one that was large enough to have a Wal-Mart and a Staples and an EB Games.  I checked out the EB while Kayla went shoe shopping, and found...


Finn and Marceline vinyls!


A $20, sealed copy of the Killer Is Dead Launch Edition.  Not a game I'd be prepared to pay full-price for, but it was the next Suda 51 thing (his production company made it, and he wrote - but didn't direct - it), and worth checking out if I ever have the time.  Annnd...


...an excellent-condition copy of Valkyria Chronicles for the same price.  I think that makes... four copies of VC, but that's fine.  This will permit me to give one away without feeling cheated, at some point.

Which reminds me, I need doubles of my physical copies of Dragon's Crown...

Anyway, then we went to a place called The Upper Crust Bakery, which has a big banner outside reading "why sacrifice quality for convenience?"  The place was buzzing along, with cars constantly pulling in and out of the parking lot - a good sign.  Walking in, we were struck with this divine cinnamon bun smell, and Kayla selected a small square single-serving chocolate cake, while I got two Imperial cookies and a chocolate cream pie for later.

Then we bought some water and tooled around the country, watching pelicans fish on the river, listening to William Elliott Whitmore and Blanche and Lana Del Rey (who I've repeatedly seen referenced on Twitter but just discovered - she's got like four keep-able tunes, from what I've heard so far).

And now it's barely 5PM and we're just lazing around the house, trying to think of what pleasures we can enjoy this evening... ahhh.

Life is good.  Oh also,


God of War Collection on Vita is frickin' awesome.

[update]  And we got reserved seats at the VIP theater for Godzilla next weekend!  [/update]

3 comments:

  1. How come you get so many duplicates of games you like? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. - Backups if my original copy bites the dust (shit can, and does, happen),
      - I feel less terrified about lending a game if I have a double of it,
      - This permits me extras of great games to give away, if I feel the need (one day I may do the Penny Arcade secret Santa thing again, once I get over how burned I felt the first time),
      - Often my multiples will be brand new copies, and those get to stay in their original sealed wrap - so perhaps, one day, when I'm old and I'm either selling my collection or giving it to a museum or library or something, it'll be worth more. Also,
      - I may have some sort of video game buying disorder.

      Delete
    2. Neat. I've never gotten a second exact copy of a game I didn't already own.

      It's definitely a video game buying disorder. Shame on you. ;)

      Delete