Friday, May 16, 2014

The art of my desk, at work.

It all started with this new manager we got in, at work.  He came in with a big welcome mat for his space (unheard of!), a few little decorative wall-hangings and a bevy of plants, to the point that his office somewhat resembles a greenhouse.

"I figure I spend more time at the office than I do at home, so I might as well make it as homey as possible," is his reasoning - but that was just the beginning.  Another manager, who's been with us for years (and is probably the most twisted/good-natured guy in the office), brought in his full-size (like three-feet-wide) print of his favorite painting - Clarice by Angelina Wrona.


"Clarice always makes me happy," he told me.  Now, our office caters to the sensitivities of its staff to an obscene degree, so I figured it wouldn't be long until our office manager told him to junk it - and within two days one of our more... vocally entitled team members saw it, and denounced it as it "offensive" and "disturbing."

"Really?" I told the manager when he related her concerns to me.  "Someone finds an image of a wide-eyed, crying little girl desperately clutching a lamb, a symbol of innocence, disturbing?" Well,

I've decided I'm going to keep using this forever.

...but here's the thing...  he was allowed to keep it up.

This set a bold new precedent for our office.  If he could have up a personal, favored image that some might find distressing, so could we all!  I could have something on my wall that isn't some dumbass motivational poster


or the ubiquitous cat.


...no, it could be anything.  Anything that wasn't as disturbing as Clarice, at least - and that casts a very wide net!  No longer would my only bit of pleasant art at the office be my desktop wallpaper:

(Muramasa, of course.)
I brought in one of my favorite BioShock Infinite advertisements - the one for my favorite vigor.


...but the word "murder" proved too much for some sensibilities.  I took it home and decided to be more ambitious.  The next day, I came in with five of my favorite pieces, framed.


Tomb Raider Reborn by iumazark.


This awesome Alice: Madness Returns art I found on some Japanese site.


Okami: The Sun Rises by Hardedge Maelstrom,


a straight-up screenshot from DmC: Devil May Cry, and finally, Vashyron, Zephyr and Leanne staring up at Basel, in some key art from Resonance of Fate.


...and no one has a problem with any of them, thank goodness.  I want to expand, now, obviously.  I want to take advantage of the gigantic resolution of that Resonance of Fate image to maybe print it out on some bigger paper, I want to bring in some Metal Gear art, some Shadow of the Colossus art, maybe even some Dead Space stuff...

It is a new day.

2 comments:

  1. You will let me know when the lamb stops screaming, won't you Chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't understand how someone can get "happy" every time they look at that painting. Like, I've got a dark streak in me a mile wide, but... yeah, no.

      Delete