Sunday, October 5, 2014

Game Diary.


That guy at my work who kept on hyping Shadow of Mordor to me didn't even buy it.  I asked him how he was liking it the other day and he said "oh, I'm going to preorder it."

I blinked.

"It came out on Tuesday," I told him.

"Ohhh."


Remember when the game was announced and we were all "well, that looks like Assassin's Creed in Mordor" ('cause it totally looked like Assassin's Creed in Mordor)?  It's not that.  Like, at all.  Or at least, barely.  It's a teensy smidgen of Assassin's Creed - specifically, thoughtless, one-button platforming and towers you have to climb to reveal more of the map - and otherwise, is entirely Batman: Arkham Pick A Game.

It's Batman in Mordor.  The combat system is guilelessly, entirely Batman.  Every single button press is identical - press circle to throw your cape/use the wraith stun on an enemy!  Now mash square to hit him with a beatdown/flurry of strikes!  You've built up your combo high enough!  Press triangle and circle together to knock out a single enemy/brutally execute a single enemy!

It's Batman, man.  And I'm not enjoying it all that much.

I've got things to do today - laundry is at the top of that list, and I feel like I should go on some sort of adventure with Kayla - but I'm going to force myself to put more time into Shadow of Mordor.  I'll feel better giving the game a decisive "meh" once I've actually finished its campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment