Saturday, October 18, 2014

Video game vacation.



It was a helluva week at the office - my cold or flu or whatever it is continued to hang on, and I was coughing like a coal miner while juggling the needs of a half-dozen VIPs that had come in for a series of meetings.  When I got home last night, Kayla had gone to a social and I - physically and emotionally exhausted - wasn't prepared to dive back in to The Evil Within.

I finished the third chapter on Thurday, and the thought of subjecting myself to more pure tension was... unappealing.  Same with Don't Starve - I've made ends meet in my most-recent playthrough, but it hasn't been an easy road.  All of my needed resources are so spread out, I barely got my beehives together before winter came.  No farms, no bird cage, no pig village to speak of yet.

I'm just scraping by.  No, I didn't want to deal with that either.  I wanted something that was just purely pleasurable.

So, obviously.


And man, I am out of practice or somethin'.  I transferred my save to my PS3 to play a bit on the big screen (ohmyGodit'ssogorgeous) and made the mistake of jumping into my Amazon on Ultimate difficulty and heading into a higher floor of the Tower of Mirages.  I got my ass kicked, Son.  A boss-ified version of a goblin dangling in a metal thing to shoot crossbow bolts tore through two of my lives, and I had to pay for an extra one at the boss.

Still... parrying dudes, which turns me invincible and adds stacks of Berserk, which makes me attack faster and harder never gets old - but I was wanting something a bit... more mellow, so I switched over to my Sorceress, who's also past level 100, but still on the early levels of the Tower.

I kinda' wish Megahouse's Sorceress model was based on this.
I would also like an Amazon based on her Brandish animation, thank you. 

And, as always, it felt like coming home.  But another game's been on my mind a lot, lately.  I don't know why - it's a game I wish I'd spent more time with, a game I'm kicking myself for not picking up the strategy guide for.


South Park: The Stick of Truth is no less endearing on a second visit.  I considered rolling a Jew this time around, but then I changed my mind and went with Fighter (again), because I love that Roshambo is an actual move that you can do in the game.  Then I went with Thief 'cause why not?

I was worried that the thief's abilities, which require a lot of precise button presses to get the most out of, would make the game too difficult - but I guess I'd forgotten that the largest complaint most critics leveled at The Stick of Truth is that it was too easy.

It's not too easy.  It's fun.  It's a pleasant, entertaining, enjoyable backstroke of a game.


I want to get back to The Evil Within - not simply because it's what I should be playing, but because it's pretty damned awesome - but I'm also falling under the impression that I've been working too hard, lately.  I've been worrying too much about what's expected of me.

I should've called in sick last week, but I didn't 'cause there was work to be done that I had to do.  I should've just gone to bed and taken care of myself, but I didn't.

I don't want to worry about what I need to do next.  I don't want to play what I should be playing.

I just want to exhale.

No comments:

Post a Comment