Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Briefest of Game Diaries.


Yesterday, Kayla taught me how to use my hot new cellphone as a WiFi hotspot.  I hooked my Vita up to it as soon as I got into the office, downloaded the game, and waited patiently for my lunch break.  After work, I told Kayla that we needed to pick up a few PSN cards.  She asked why, and I explained I was buying a copy of Shovel Knight for her.

To put it succinctly, Shovel Knight hits all the right notes as a spiritual successor to old challenging NES classics like Mega Man - without ever seeming to be quite that challenging.  I've not yet cursed at my Vita, even as the game steadily ratchets up its expectations of the player.  It's beautiful, in its eight-bit way, and charming, and its soundtrack is excellent.

And the controls... well, I'll get into that tonight.  I have a .GIF to show you - or will, by this evening.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! This lovely game deserves to be played and shared!

    I had similar feeling about the difficulty. I never died during the first few stages. However, by the end of the game, I was dying a bunch of times. I didn't mind because Shovel Knight never felt unfair. Never quite as hard as Mega Man or Castlevania , but it gets close occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That being said, I love that when you fall down a pit it makes a sound that's quite similar to an exploding Mega Man.

      Delete